• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vibraphone KS question

Share/Bookmark

Vibraphone KS question

Okay, I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out how to use pedal effects with vibraphone within a Finale 2006a file. At one point the vibes sounded perfect...then I reloaded them, while doing another experiment, and now they are dry, dry, dry. I've been looking through the manuals, but I'll be darned if I can get this to work. Can anyone help? Sorry for being such a newbie.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Vibraphone KS question

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    I reloaded them, while doing another experiment, and now they are dry, dry, dry.
    Paul
    I'm not a notation user at all, but you say they are now dry dry dry.
    Dry meaning no reverb.

Perhaps you originally loaded the wet audition sound inadvertantly?
    Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I fixed the problem by loading, instead, the pedal version of the vibes (it seems so logical now!). A DP question for you comes out of this. I have now exported my Finale file as a MIDI file so that I can do all the mixing in DP. First thing that happened was that a pizz marking in my cello part (which worked properly in Finale) is no longer keyswitched in DP. Is there a setting I should know about? Also I notice that I have to "zero" every track in the mixer window in order to set proper levels. No big deal...it takes all of 30 seconds to do this, but it does seem quirky that you have to do this before the levels respond fully. As always, thanks for your help.
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I'm not a notation user at all, but you say they are now dry dry dry.
    Dry meaning no reverb.

Perhaps you originally loaded the wet audition sound inadvertantly?
    Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

Dan
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

If you use Human Playback in Finale06, make sure to load from the "9. Notation" folder and to check/select Playback Settings | Human Playback Preferences "Best legato using controller" "68".

Thank you , Nickie. That was checked (I checked). In order to trigger the legato (controller 68) do you then use pedal expression markings in the score to differenciate legato phrases from others? Or phrase markings? Put another way I guess I am asking how you trigger controller 68. I did find that just using the pedal version of the vibes worked out quite nicely in the piece I am finishing now, but I haven't needed any non-legato or non pedalled notes at all.
    Thanks again
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If you use Human Playback in Finale06, make sure to load from the "9. Notation" folder and to check/select Playback Settings | Human Playback Preferences "Best legato using controller" "68".

When you use the vibes from the "3. percussion" folder, you need to select CC#64 as the legato controler and uncheck "Use unified keyswitches", since unified KeySwitches are only found in "9. Notation". Whether you use folders 1-8/CC#64/-"Use unified keyswitches" or folder 9/CC#68/+"Use unified keyswitches", legato is normally indicated with a slur. I would imagine this also goes for the vibes, although I haven't actually tried this.

Thank you. I'll try the slur/phrase marks. The second movement of the piece requires the change from pedal to non pedalled notes, so your advice is well timed.
    Paul
    When you use the vibes from the "3. percussion" folder, you need to select CC#64 as the legato controler and uncheck "Use unified keyswitches", since unified KeySwitches are only found in "9. Notation". Whether you use folders 1-8/CC#64/-"Use unified keyswitches" or folder 9/CC#68/+"Use unified keyswitches", legato is normally indicated with a slur. I would imagine this also goes for the vibes, although I haven't actually tried this.

Well, I'm back. The phrase mark solution doesn't make a wit of difference, unfortunately. The notes are still deadened. No pedal. So, I have two choices only at the moment. Use the non-KS vibes which use Pedal mode 1 (from what I have read) and the KS version which allows keyswitching. Only thing is that I can't figure out how to program the keyswitch from within Finale. I'm not using the Notation version of any of the patches...perhaps this will force me to do that....but it seems to me that I should be able to use the full version of the libraries without sacrificing keyswitching for this instrument. Perhaps there are special symbols I haven't figured out yet...

Anyway, I wanted to say I'm still stuck and would appreciate any and all help on this one.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Thank you. I'll try the slur/phrase marks. The second movement of the piece requires the change from pedal to non pedalled notes, so your advice is well timed.
    Paul

Paul, you should read what the Update documentation has to say about the vibraphone. It's on page 14. If you use the folder 9/CC#68 instrument, you can control the tremolo level with CC#22, continuously from CC#22=0 (completely dry) to CC#22=127 (completely wet), and the tremolo speed with CC#23, likewise continuously. As I read it, there's no need for slurs/phrase marks. Just issue (blank) text expressions with playback Type: Controller #22/23 and Effect: Set To whatever level you prefer. I suppose the KeySwitched instrument works similarly. BTW, the KS feature doesn't seem to affect dry/wet, only sustained (C) & release trigger roll (D).

Edit: Once again I was wrong The KS Vibraphone works differently, try it with "sustain / sostenuto pedal mode" = MIDI controller/switch. The "9 Notation" vibraphone needs "sustain / sostenuto pedal mode" = normal.

Thank you again for your help with this. I actually didn't have the updated documentation, for some reason, although I have the updated GPO. I now have a copy and am going through it... Some much to learn, so little time.

I haven't figured out yet what you mean by the [I]folder 9 stuff. Does that refer to some preference setting in GPO or does it relate to FInale?
    Paul

Paul, you should read what the Update documentation has to say about the vibraphone. It's on page 14. If you use the folder 9/CC#68 instrument, you can control the tremolo level with CC#22, continuously from CC#22=0 (completely dry) to CC#22=127 (completely wet), and the tremolo speed with CC#23, likewise continuously. As I read it, there's no need for slurs/phrase marks. Just issue (blank) text expressions with playback Type: Controller #22/23 and Effect: Set To whatever level you prefer. I suppose the KeySwitched instrument works similarly. BTW, the KS feature doesn't seem to affect dry/wet, only sustained (C) & release trigger roll (D).

Edit: Once again I was wrong The KS Vibraphone works differently, try it with "sustain / sostenuto pedal mode" = MIDI controller/switch. The "9 Notation" vibraphone needs "sustain / sostenuto pedal mode" = normal.

Go Back to forum