• Register
  • Help

Topic: PSP game

Share/Bookmark

PSP game

Anyone know the typical (i understand this could be all over the place) number of minutes of music in a PSP game?
    thanks

Re: PSP game

My next project is for PSP and the client wants 6 x 3 minute tracks.

Offhand, I dont know what the memory limitations are, but how many minutes of music are allowed will also depend on how graphics intensive the game is, how many sound effects does it have? And so on.

There wont be a; "you get 'x' minutes of music and thats it" rule. It will be a balancing act with all the other assets.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

This could be all over the place.

It really depends on a number of things.

Is the music Streamed or Memory resident (ie MIDI + DLS)

What sort of music does the game require, is it adaptive, or linear?

How much time have they given the composer to write, and what is their budget for music?

How much music do the designers want for the title?
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

cool. i figured so. those are good questions to ask.
    what are some other questions i need to ask the developer? Are there some sony PSP tools i need to be aware of for testing etc?

Really it's between you and the developer. I would assume most tracks would be provided in WAV files pro-tools sessions or even stems if so requested.

The only tools you should need is if there's an adaptive engine which you'll need to test your music on.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

stupid noob question of the day: what's a stem?

thanks for enlightening me :-)

Actually, music can go into a PSP in 1 of 3 ways. If the music is streamed from disc, you would deliver a PCM-based, compressed .at3 file which is ATRAC3, the native compression for many Sony products. This is how I've been doing it for the PSP game I've been working on and it sounds pretty good, even at 64kbs. The downside of this is that there is only one streaming channel on the PSP, so if your developer decides to stream dialog, they'll have to fade out your music every time. Also, if they're doing any kind of dynamic loading of graphic assets, it could be a disc-hit consideration as the PSP's battery life is compromised with excessive disc hits. Sony actively discourages this.

If it is (very) small loops, they can be downsampled heavily and crammed into a SCREAM bank, but you're looking at limiting the file size to 200-300K, depending on the size of the shared sfx bank which makes for very small loops.

The third way is to use a DLS bank and small midi files which can be put together using the Sony interactive music system, which last I checked, was not working yet for PSP...but that was many months ago, so you could have your developer look into its availablility. If using that, you should charge a good amount for the creation of the DLS bank. Then charge for interactive music packages. Example, a piece of music that has 3-4 branches and 4-5 switchable layers could be worth $3-4K. If they choke on their coke at that, remind them that it'll give them 10-15 minutes of unrepeated music. Bargain!

-Jamey

Jamey and Yannis know a lot more about the PSPs charateristics than I do, but I can at least answer your stem question.

Stem are basically musical layers. The occur in the film world too, you might deliver a mix of percussion only - thats stem 1 for example. You might then deliver brass and strings as another stereo file - stem 2. Stem 3 might actually be a solo clarinet or something that carries the main melody of the piece - you deliver this as a seperate file so that its volume can be adjusted independantly in the mix.

When it comes to interactive music, you start getting a lot of mileage out of stems like Jamey mentioned - you might have a track going for 3 minutes - drop out the percussion for 30 seconds, bring it back in, now bring on the melody, etc, etc.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

thanks scott, that's very enlightening. so basically when working with stems you consider all the parts of the pice to be independent tracks, like e.g. you'd handle them in a sequencer. good concept. i need to adopt that in my first game project i'm currently working on (hobby only, but still a first step in the right direction).

Go Back to forum