• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

Share/Bookmark

Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

I'm looking for the fastest laptop around so I can run power-hungry applications such as B4, Ivory, and giga3 simultaneously. I understand Pentium M's are faster for a given clock speed than Pentium 4. Pentium 4 3.2 GHz laptops are quite affordable; are they faster than a 2.1 GHz Pentium M laptop (assuming equal RAM and hard drive speed)?

Re: Pentium 4 vs. Pentium M

I seem to recall an article (maybe in Sound on Sound?) that said that the Pentium-M chips are comparable in power to a Pentium IV listed as 1.6 higher, so a 2.1 M-class is like a 3.2 PIV

Quote Originally Posted by B3boy
    I'm looking for the fastest laptop around so I can run power-hungry applications such as B4, Ivory, and giga3 simultaneously. I understand Pentium M's are faster for a given clock speed than Pentium 4. Pentium 4 3.2 GHz laptops are quite affordable; are they faster than a 2.1 GHz Pentium M laptop (assuming equal RAM and hard drive speed)?
    Are you playing them at the same time? If not then they shouldn't draw much CPU power.

I would assume that the main problem would be memory. B4 isn't a problem but Ivory will take you to the edge and G3 push you over it.

Ernie

Ivory and GS3 on same machine at same time? As my wife would say, "CABOOM!"
    To the best of my knowlege, it's impossible to run GS3 and Ivory at the same time on any machine alive. if you can do it on a laptop of any kind, I want to know. What is your host application? Are you running GS3 and Ivory on one machine in your studio right now? Do you own these instruments yet or are you considering getting them?
    Kevin

I don't believe one can succesfully run all these simultaneously
    (and why you should) with the laptop. You didn't mention other feature
    of the "fastest" laptop; two separete hard drives are necessity and
    2 GB RAM, in addition to the fast clock speed, I believe.

But I'd also like to hear other's experience, who are PC-laptop
    user: E.g. what is the most efficient/best sequencer in this
    context, what kind of audio interface you are using etc.

Harry

My Dell Inspiron laptop, with a 1.8ghz pentium M processor and 1gb of RAM, does not even approach the efficiency of my Pentium 4 3.0ghz desktop (2gb of RAM). Simple tests of running the same Reaktor ensemble on both and playing chords with them - same OS, no background programs runing, no effects, same sequencer, etc - made this easy to see. My P4 can typically run upwards of 100 VST plugins and effects without much of a problem while my laptop can barely run a handful. It's very disappointing.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Actually, I've been able to run Giga3 in re-wire mode (using Gary Seyer acoustic bass sample) and Ivory simultaneously without any problems. I also had B4 in the background. I'm using a 1.6 GHz P4, 1Gb RAM, ext. firewire 7200RPM drive for sample library. My host application is Cakewalk home studio.

Actually, I've been able to run Giga3 in re-wire mode (using Gary Seyer acoustic bass sample) and Ivory simultaneously without any problems. I also had B4 in the background. I'm using a 1.6 GHz P4, 1Gb RAM, ext. firewire 7200RPM drive for sample library. My host application is Cakewalk home studio.
    What audio interface are you using? And is it USB or firewire.?
    I was looking at the Tascam US-122 but I notice it is USB 1.1 (not 2.0) I wonder how this would affect latency on large piano libraries...

Mal

I'm using M-Audio Audiophile (firewire). Latency is not a problem.

Go Back to forum