• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Views on this new controller from M-Audio

Share/Bookmark

OT: Views on this new controller from M-Audio

Has anybody seen or tried this out. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ixIO-main.html

I had been tempted of late to buy a Mackie Control, but this seems to offer far more ... its based on the HUI standard. Will this be a problem with cubase ?

Thanks,

Re: OT: Views on this new controller from M-Audio

For $1000, they're trying to compete directly with Mackie and Tascam. I have a Trigger Finger from M-Audio; I love it, and for $200 it was a tremendous value. But if I was going to drop $1000K+ on a MIDI control surface with audio as well, I'm not sure if I trust M-Audio. (The Trigger Finger software doesn't work very well for me either.)

Moving faders is a neat thing, but I don't think I'd really need that. Also I worry that over time the moving faders become grittier and less accurate compared to a simple "passive" fader mechanism...
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

This one includes audio, which I would not need for my applications. For control of my orchestral mixer setup I would go for the Tascam, of with more money in the pocket, for the Mackie with 1 or 2 extensions.

Thanks for yor thoughts guys.

I too worried about the quality of the a) the faders, and b) the mic pre-amps.
    They do not publish either who makes them, or what the throw is. Suspect it may be less than 100mm as they do not state it ...

I think it is great value for money otherwise. Its the equivalent price of the Mackie control, with an abundance if inputs too boot.

It also connect via firewire .... the mackie needs actual MIDI din sockets, a pair for each unit ... so if you bought 2 extenders that would be 6 midi cables going to and from your desk top. I can't understand why they went for such an unelegent solution.

Still, it is more competition and hopefully this will help drive prices down across the board.

I saw it at AES... it looks kinda cheap. No way to know how good it sounds or how stable the drivers are from a trade show demo. It was tucked away in a small room downstairs.

- G

I don't know boys and girls. $1,300 on something that's really kind of a luxury seems a bit steep for this thing. I'd say get a real board for that price and get some sort of fader master for midi stuff.

Ars

Hidden in the depths of the manual I've found that it does indeed have 100mm faders, and most surprisingly, it supports GSIF 2. It can be picked up for less than a $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Buchan
    It can be picked up for less than a $1000.
    Yeah, $999 plus tax.

- G

It can run Pro Tools LE. That's the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Buchan
    its based on the HUI standard. Will this be a problem with cubase ?
    Using Mackie Control emulation it should run fine (I'm doing that with my Tascam FW1884)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    It can run Pro Tools LE. That's the big deal.
    So can my 100 $ Audiophile...

Go Back to forum