E-MU MSO Demos Online

http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=14274

Scroll to the very bottom of the page.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: E-MU MSO Demos Online

Yuck. Mushy out of tune stuff. Not worth $300 bucks. Save the money to buy K2 with the free included VSL library Have I mentioned before that the library was free? That's my favorite part.

Ars

Quote Originally Posted by ArsNova
    Yuck. Mushy out of tune stuff. Not worth $300 bucks.
    Woow,
    what a..... hmmm, definitive statement !
    Well, I listened to the demos, and while I found nothing to really rave about, it's IMO not so "mushy" and "out of tune".
    ----
    I mean,
    I really see no point for someone not already owning the EMU software to go this way, with the hassle of buying and learning a new soft, changing a maybe perfectly working audio card for the EMU's one (what a drag !), facing maybe some of the EMU's drivers' and CPU hogging reported problems, etc...
    On the other hand, for somebody whose hunger for classical samples is still there, and who might already have a well-working Emulator or Proteus, why not ?
    As good and handy as the included-in-K2 VSL samples are (and I own them), they are more like "appetizers" and will not cover all the needs for all orchestration demands (VSL are not crazy : if it was enough to buy K2 for getting the whole story, how would they still hope to sell their own libs ?)
    ---
    And, frankly, look around, what does one get today for $300 bucks ? The price seems to be very aware of the competition.

Some points about MSO you should be aware of:

1. All of the demos (except for the march) were done with ONE instance on a test system with 1GB RAM.

2. Listen carefully to the passages with repeated notes. All of these were done with the new Flex programming built into EmulatorX. No separate articulation software program was used.

3. All of the instruments are pre-positioned for their appropriate on stage seated position, as such, I found they worked well on their own, and in particular, quite well with VSL and QLSO.

4. Once MSO begins shipping, a powerful bundle will come available for $399 which includes the complete MSO library, all the listed software and bonus banks, AND an 0404 card which includes a MIDI interface. E-MU also has updated 64-bit drivers for XP64.
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    How much control over the reverb is there? I'm not familiar with their sampling engine so I'm not sure how much was recorded in vs how much was added with the player.

Like I said, for the price/bundle it's a pretty darn good deal for someone just getting into it.

Any word on the price bundled with a 1616m?
    You have total control of the reverb since reverb and other effects are setup with a DSP on the audio card (with 600+ presets) and executed through their PatchMix (http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=10447).

The PatchMix works in either standalone mode or as a VSTi. The general consensus is that PatchMix is best used as a VSTi.

However, it's not necessary to use PatchMix. I tested MSO with the newly released GigaPulse and found that the Larry Seyer Reverb for Strings was really brilliant for the sound. Or, depending on your sequencing setup, you can run in the reverb from a hardware unit.

BTW, MSO for sure is a good starting place, especially with the software and the specially edited bank of sounds designed to be used with Overture 4. However, MSO is also an excellent second library. Again, I encourage you to listen to the demos to hear how the many repeated note situations were handled with the new Flex programs. In fact, all of the demos were done with the Flex programs setup as the full orchestral template.
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by ArsNova
    Mushy...

Ars
    You're right. I checked with Ashley Witt who did all the demos and something was added to them to make them sound this way. In the next few days I'll post a link to the Alexander web site that will be the demos exactly as submitted.

Thanks for the comment.
    Peter L. Alexander

Sorry to be dense:

So it's recorded "dry" and all the reverb in the demos has been added?

Too much verb is my main complaint about the demos, otherwise it sounds pretty decent and would be nice to use as a sketchpad and to blend with other libs.
    There are several ways to record with reverb.

1) Record dry, add reverb later.
    2) Record with reverb

Is this answering your question?

Ashley Witt, who did these demos, usually records with reverb using a Lexicon PCM90. However, something was added to what was submitted which is why the demos sound mushy (to use Ars Nova's term).
    Peter L. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    You're right. I checked with Ashley Witt who did all the demos and something was added to them to make them sound this way. In the next few days I'll post a link to the Alexander web site that will be the demos exactly as submitted.

Thanks for the comment.
    Thank you. I look forward to giving them another listen

Ars

This sounds like another example of a tendency that I really dislike. Emu has brilliant hardware with more than adequate sound quality and fx processing. Naturally, prospects need an extra reason to buy the card so EMU adds value.... sounds! Wrap an engine around a couple of sounds and off you go!
    Now we all know there are at least 4 low-priced complete orchestras. If you come with yet another one, it better adds something new to the existing field. When you compare this with the Silver, VSL or GPO demos there is plenty of realism available already. But the EMU demos don't have anything "extra", something to get excited about.

Do you own listening test: Listen to this one first and then this one.
    The first is Silver the second Emu MSO.

The EMU audio demos are sounding utterly fake to me. It sounds like all sections and solo instruments were instructed to play "neutral" no expression. The demos can't reveal this "first-pass rehearsal" feeling. Dead. The added reverb makes it even worse, dead plus reverb = horror. Could be that the recorded orchestra was having a bad day. Could be that we are too spoild with other high quality stuff...
    Perhaps some demos showing the instruments without the Lex verb can change this impression.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I was asking about the samples themselves. I.e. VSL is "dry" where EWQLSO is "wet".
    MSO has a light ambience, but the main work is to be done with a separate reverb unit.
    Peter L. Alexander

Go Back to forum