• Register
  • Help

Topic: I need Kontakt 2's DFD Expert Mode Default Settings

Share/Bookmark

Red face I need Kontakt 2's DFD Expert Mode Default Settings

Could someone please provide me with Kontakt 2's DFD Expert Mode default settings? There are only 2 adjustable parameters ("Channel Buffer Size" and "# Reserved Channel Buffers") and NI's website is down. I blatantly ignored the bright yellow button and explicit warning and toyed around in there without knowing what I was doing.

In fact, I don't really know what any of the DFD setting parameters do in the real world.

Thanks.

Re: I need Kontakt 2's DFD Expert Mode Default Settings

Channel Buffer Size: 192 KB
    # reserved Channel Buffers: 1024
    Ben N. Moore

You are a kind soul....thank you very much bnmoore!

Hello,

reserved channel buffers #1024 would enable you to stream up to 512 stereo voices (from the memory allocation point). Not sure if you need that.... since probably your drive lets you stream much less voices. Set it to 500, so you can stream 250 stereo voices.

Why is it not recommended to set 1024? Thus you would force the DFD to allocate lots of memory for nothing, which would be a waste, especially when you plug-in several instances of Kontakt.

Channel buffer size of 384 KB works best for me. Try what is the best for you.

When repeatedly playing the same passage, do not forget that you will not be streaming from disc(!) then. You will be streaming from the OS disc cache so to say. Keep this in mind when you try to find the best setting.

Go Back to forum