• Register
  • Help

Topic: small/portable air conditioner for machine room?

Share/Bookmark

small/portable air conditioner for machine room?

my machine room is a closet that doesn't have an outlet for ventilation. it doesn't usually get above 90 degrees F, but i want to add more computers, and i'm concerned about the temp.

it crossed my mind that a small air conditioner might do the trick to keep it cool. there is enough room in the closet that it wouldn't be right on top of my computers, but there is no way for me to set up an outlet for ventilation.

has anyone ever tried anything like this?

btw, i usually open the door during breaks so that it can cool off in there.

TIA,
    john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Smile Re: small/portable air conditioner for machine room?

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    my machine room is a closet that doesn't have an outlet for ventilation. it doesn't usually get above 90 degrees F, but i want to add more computers, and i'm concerned about the temp.

it crossed my mind that a small air conditioner might do the trick to keep it cool. there is enough room in the closet that it wouldn't be right on top of my computers, but there is no way for me to set up an outlet for ventilation.

has anyone ever tried anything like this?

btw, i usually open the door during breaks so that it can cool off in there.

TIA,
    john
    Hello,

I recently revamped my studio with multiple machines and though I don't have a closet/machine room, I did acquire a 48U "IsoBox" which has its own ventilation system. The issue, however, was that the IsoBox exhaust was creating an excessive heat source that wasn't making the equipment inside overheat, but making the room excessively warm. So I hired an air conditioning/ventilation professional and learned a few things that may be applicable to your dilemna.

It turns out that ventilation designed to actively extract hot air from a focused heat source is KEY. More important even than bringing in cold air (to your point) BECAUSE the cold air is defeated by the hot air especially if you're dealing with multiple machines in close proximity. Again so I'm told...

So my guy built an external extraction duct - there is a small fan that is heat triggered inside the duct that connects to the IsoBox and this fan pulls the hot air from the exhaust and kicks it outside (of the house). Until I did this, I kept running my A/C higher and higher to no avail. I even noticed the increase in my energy bills for a few months. Now, I barely run the A/C and the room stays very cool, and energy bills have noticeably down.

The IsoBox - which does have fans to pull room temp air from the floor (chimney affect) stays cooler too because the hot air is removed faster, but again, that wasn't the main issue - the room heat (which I would equate to your closet heat, a minature room in this context) was resulting from the hot air collecting around the exhaust. The additional incoming A/C is only effective if you exhaust the hot air first. So I think the morale to the story is that ventilation to extract is equal to, if not more important, than increasing incoming cooler air.

Perhaps your wall closet may even be able to vent the air out into an attic? Or depending on where it's situated, you could think of it as an IsoBox that would get cool air from below your home (I've heard of that approach too), but it would still need an exhaust; basically, you're aiming for a chimney affect within that confined space.

Hope this helps!

Re: small/portable air conditioner for machine room?

These are great ventilation tips.....I was thinking about how the exhaust would be too warm for the summmer month's , but it would probably be very welcome in the Winter months !!..... Having a way of distributing the hot air would be a plus in this case, especially with the rising cost's of heating one's home !!....Jim

Re: small/portable air conditioner for machine room?

thanks Fastonkeys!

as i live in San Francisco, where all the houses butt up against one another, it makes for a lot less exposed wall for setting up a ventilation duct. i might be able to set something up to vent into another part of the house, but even that's not easy, as the closet is underneath the stairs, and bordered by another closet and my studio.

still, setting up a duct will probably be cheaper than one of these (i hope!):
    http://www.air-n-water.com/portable-...nditioners.htm

anyone else care to chime in on my crackpot scheme?
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum