• Register
  • Help

Topic: question on stormdrum kompakt

Share/Bookmark

question on stormdrum kompakt

why is it that when i open up the acoustic drumsets that the open hihat is not choked by the closed hihat? one would think that something so essential would be a no-brainer to implement in any kind of drum-related vsti, so i'm guessing it's a bad case of me overlooking the possibility of editing this behaviour... i know how to do this in kontakt when i have all the instruments in different slots, but not in the kontakt player that comes with stormdrum. any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: question on stormdrum kompakt

YOu can't edit it in the Kompakt player, but why not just edit that instrument in Kontakt then save it to the Stormdrum directory and it should be available from within the Kompakt player.

**** EDIT: N.B. The NKI must be edited in Kontakt 1.5 to be compatible with the Kompakt player ****

It chokes off using the Bb key below the kick drum. Don't know why it was programmed that way.

Hope this helps,

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by pmwaring
    YOu can't edit it in the Kompakt player, but why not just edit that instrument in Kontakt then save it to the Stormdrum directory and it should be available from within the Kompakt player.
    i'm VERY hesitant about editing existing libraries, for some reason i'm a "use it out of the box" guy. so that's defnitely not an option for me.

@dpasdernick: yep, thanks, that helped. how on earth did i overlook this? nevermind, it's working now, so all is well. that is, almost... because, when i open the hihats in a slot of their own, i get the same problem. how do they choke then? probably something very obvious which i'm - as usual - too dimwitted to see for myself... :-)

The better you get, the more you have to tweak. If you don't like something, change it and stop complaining.
    In my situation, there are 2 GM Acoustic kits in Stormdrum that have bad sample start on 2 velocities on Snare click (Eb 1 key). I emailed the company that info, they did not fix it, but now I also have Kontakt2 and I made my changes and all is good. I also like the fact that in Kontakt 2 I can assign different Groups to different outputs. This way I can have snare on one channel, Kick on another etc. This should be implemented in Kontakt Player as well in my opinion.

hmmmh.... maybe i SHOULD look into that... seems to be a learning opportunity...

is there a way of importing files into kontakt so that the individual instruments (eg. kick, snare, hat etc.) are mapped to their own slots within kontakt? i mean, i know how to import the .nki's of course, but when i try that with the programs fo, in this example, stormdrum, i get all the instruments mapped to one single slot, which isn't much of a solution since then i won't be able to edit the choke-behaviour of the hihats.

any hints would be very welcome.

is there a way of importing files into kontakt so that the individual instruments (eg. kick, snare, hat etc.) are mapped to their own slots within kontakt? i mean, i know how to import the .nki's of course, but when i try that with the programs fo, in this example, stormdrum, i get all the instruments mapped to one single slot, which isn't much of a solution since then i won't be able to edit the choke-behaviour of the hihats.

any hints would be very welcome.

You have a lot of options in Kontakt. You could load a whole drum kit program and modify the hats so they choke properly. You could assign different drums to different outputs.
    That's the reason I load these kind of programs into Kontakt rather than the Kompakt players they come with.
    You can pretty much do anything you want, you just have to get your head around the Kontakt mapping editor.

ok, maybe i should express myself a little clearer next time. what i meant was this... i tried to import eg. the 60's vintage kit from the stormdrum lib into kontakt, but i still have all the different instruments of the set mapped to one single slot, like it would be when you're loading a single instrument into kontakt, instead of having the desired effect of having the instrument loaded as a multi. so, in short, i think my question boils down to this:

is there a way of importing .nki-instruments into kontakt and either have kontakt split the instruments into a multi automatically or, if that can't be done, split the .nki into a multi manually?

sorry, i can't get any clearer than this, due to non-sufficient english-speaking (and writing) skills :-)

Bluue Powder->

is there a way of importing .nki-instruments into kontakt and either have kontakt split the instruments into a multi automatically or, if that can't be done, split the .nki into a multi manually?

Marty->
    Not automatically, You would have yo do it manually.

In Kontakt, load the 60's vintage drum kit. Open the mapping editor,

Delete everything but the snares, rename and save the instrument as 60's vintage snares. Repeat this process for each drum.

When you are done re-load each drum and save the whole thing as a multi.

I think that will get you what you want.

aaaah yes... that sounds like something that will do the trick. i'll try that as soon as i get the time. thanks a bunch :-)

Go Back to forum