• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Opus 1 - GS or Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Opus 1 - GS or Kontakt?

Hi All,

Would appreciate some sampler/DAW strategy help for VSL Opus 1. I have Gigastudio 2.5 all on its own on DAW 2- mostly running just SI strings. I have Kontakt 1.5 on primary machine with Cubase SX and EW Gold.

My understanding is that VSL Opus 1 comes bundled for any sampler you choose. I would likely have more power on GS 2.5 DAW 2 for Opus 1, so that's likely what I will do. Anything else I should be considering though?

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: VSL Opus 1 - GS or Kontakt?

I've been positing the same thing. I have both Kontakt 1.53 and Gigastudio 3 Orchestra on PC plus a Mac Mini (1 gig ram) running Logic Express 7.01. I think the package you get with Opus 1 has programs for EXS built in, hence it would work without downloading something from the site. However, if you were to use Kontakt, you'd have to download the nki file formats to work with the samples.

Opus 1 comes with the Gigastudio files ... complete and self-contained. You don't have to register to install them.

If you want the Kontakt version, then you will find all the wave files on the DVD, but you will have to register on the VSL web site, to be able to download the NKI files.

So if you registered the kontakt version, and downloaded the NKI files ... you'd have enough files to run it in both Gigastudio 2.5 and Kontakt 1.5, the best of both worlds. Not sure if this contravenes the licence, but if you were only running one at a time ... but I'm sure you'd be within the spirit.

Personally I would register with Kontakt. With Kontakt 2 (not 1.5) ... there are user generated legato and repetition Kontakt scripts available on Northern Sounds (if you search) and they work just great, and that means you don't have to use the Performance Tool in your set-up. (These are NOT the legato scripts that come with 1.5, but user created scripts.) In terms of your computer set up this is a LOT simpler, as I'm sure you know.

At a later date you might wish to cross-grade your Opus to GigaStudio, for a very fair price, and get the GigaStudio 3 patches which have greater variety than the Gigastudio 2.5 versions ... but again these will only be of use if you have GS3.

So upgrade to Kontake 2, and register for the Kontakt version.

Not quite; the legato instruments need the appropriate Performance Tool files, so unless you register the GS version you wouldn't be able to use these instruments.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Not quite; the legato instruments need the appropriate Performance Tool files, so unless you register the GS version you wouldn't be able to use these instruments.

D
    I'm pretty sure the performance tool files are the same between Kontakt and GS versions. I don't have two seperate sets of files and I have both Kontakt and GS versions. I actually registered both versions and paid a little extra. There are some GS 3 specific files for download, but if you are using GS 2.5 you won't need those.

fizbin

Davcos, Drew, Daryl, and Jay,

Thanks for all the info. I'll check into what I need to do to have the flexibility for both GS and Kontakt. Anytime I download things, I typically get into trouble, so it helps to know I can get started maybe on GS, and then expand to the kontakt license once I get K2.

Much appreciated,
    Joanne

Go Back to forum