• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music Terms in Mandarin Chinese?

Share/Bookmark

Music Terms in Mandarin Chinese?

Hi,

I have some music students who just moved here from China. I would like to learn some musical terms in Mandarin to help in communicating with them. Is anyone aware of Mandarin - English dictionary or website that might have some music-specific jargon in it? (instrument names, parts of instruments, chord, harmony, measure, barline, beat, meter, time signature, key, etc. -- words that would probably not translate directly (I'm sure "measure" in a Chinese dictionary would yield the word for what you do with a ruler, and I don't want to make the kid think I'm going to "beat" her if she can't play in meter).

Any thoughts?
    chris.

Re: Music Terms in Mandarin Chinese?

Hi Chris

I think you're a brave man !! I've been living in Taiwan for 5 years and barely speak a word of everyday chinese. I don't know what dialect you want, but if you give me a week or so (I'm terribly busy lately), I'll get some of the words you want in chinese script and send you a PDF. Although you might still have difficulties, because the mandarin here is written in traditional script and in china they use a simplified script, but your students might still recognize them. Pronouncing those words correctly yourself....well, that might take you a couple of years .....

Kind Regards

LouisD

No idea, but this was interesting.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-17-2004-61773.asp
    Styxx

Thanks very much for your offer--I'm looking to speak the words rather than to write them, so you don't need to trouble yourself with tracking down the characters for me.

I actually bought a Pimsleur course in basic Mandarin. I've been listening to it in my car, but it's too noisy to discern the specifics of each consonant and vowel, so I've had a lot of trouble with it. Hopefully I can pick it up better if I listen with headphones and some more focus--I think I'll need to see things spelled out phonetically too.

I always thought I was good with languages--but I guess I'm really only good with *european* languages.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Interesting--I always suspected that Chinese-speaking people would be more likely to have perfect pitch--it's cool to see this confirmed.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Interesting--I always suspected that Chinese-speaking people would be more likely to have perfect pitch chris.
    My trip to China and painful experiences in their Karaoke bars force me to disagree )

Maybe you and your students could do a GPO arrangement of Liang Zhu? I love that piece!

Cheers Matt

Go Back to forum