• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reflection at Night

Share/Bookmark

Reflection at Night

i guess i would consider this a nocturne, being as though this was inspired by a chilly evening...there's just something about houston when it's cold...it's a great place to be...

this is also my debut performance on irish whistle (seriously)

Reflection at Night

Re: Reflection at Night

Lovely piece, Josh... beautifully written and rendered (not that that's anything new from you... lol).

One of those pieces, too, that explores emotions we all know, but somehow could never put a name on. (The way it transitions indefinably across moods is very effective, intriguing.)

I'll definitely be back tonight for another listen on this -- I want to get lost in it with the lights out... I know there's a lot more in there than I can hear when the sun's still up.

By the way, you do seem to be quite a good Irish whistle-ist.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David - thanks, as always, for giving a listen - and it is amazing how music can sometimes explain what words cannot...i should have suggested that this piece be listened to when it's nighttime, preferably cold as well...i kind of was thinking of the nordic areas when writing this...where it's cold much of the year but not depressing - if that makes sense...thanks again

-josh

Told you I'd be back... and I've got the ideal weather. Cold, raining, thunder rumbling distantly... all the leaves have just fallen from the trees, and pulsing lightning outlines their stark skeletons through wisps of fog and mist.

For all its simplicity, gentleness, and subtly turning moods... this is one of your best pieces, Josh... there's a restraint and maturity to it I have not heard in you before.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Amazingly beautiful piece. It is night now and I'm freezing my tookus. When I read you envisioned Nordic scenes it made sense. The composition and mix of this are flawless. And the Irish whistle was just right. Bravo.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Holy Cow!! I wanna quit writing music *lol* This is so good. Amazing production- I love the Impressionistic textures and overall lushness at the end. And the stuff in the middle with the solo strings. Bloody good'ern!!

Loved it, but was confused at first: why is he talking about a cold night when the temperature is obviously quite moderate ? But it's a cold night in Houston, which probably means you just want to put socks on.

Very beautiful piece, Josh. (Hard to sympathize with the cold though. I live in Toronto!!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Well it is night, and very cold, and I heard your piece. Do I win a prize ??
    Beautiful as ever, and a very interesting sound using the penny whistle to glacial effect.
    It is an instrument I associate with warm pubs, and frothing beer, and jolly company, but you have elicited a lonely, chilling mood from it.
    I liked the understated Piano writing too, it sits well in that Nordic reverb.
    I used to play the whistle a bit in my younger days. After one disastrous tour, I raised the bus fare back home from Switzerland , busking jigs and reels in Lausanne station.
    mmmm Alpine snows and penny whistles.............
    regards

This is very lush and pretty, Joshua. I like it very much. Keep up the great work and thanks for posting this.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast