• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lament (flute and piano)

Share/Bookmark

Lament (flute and piano)

Hi again. I wrote the original version of this for my daughter's audition for her high school music program. (Many years back). I decided a while back that I would like to rewrite it, expand one of the sections a little and give the piano a tad more to do.
    Questions for you, if you give it a listen. This is done in Finale 2006a with HP on...and that's it. I found the dynamics hyper-responsive, even slightly uncontrollable. You will hear that at times the flute or piano seem to jump levels a little too much. The difference between mp and mf seems to be huge. Also the rit. an rall markings were not consistent. I had to experiment a lot there too. Anyway, I'm of course, interested in any and all comments and wonder if anyone has had similar experiences with the Finale "expressions".
    And lastly, there are several occasions where I wanted the piano chords to be rolled from top to bottom. I couldn't figure out how to tell Finale to do this so you will hear them bottom to top (the default for the expression). Again, if anyone knows how...

Cheers
    Paul

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Lament.mp3
    Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 11-09-2005 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Additional question
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Lament (flute and piano)

Lovely, thoughtful piece, Paul.

You can edit (or make altered duplicates of) the stock dynamics in Finale. This is very often necessary with piano: considering the huge dynamic range of the instrument, it's expectable. (The flute, I think perhaps I would just back off in the mix a bit.)

To be clear: You can't expect the Finale dynamics to be one-size-fits-all. I'll often have several different ff or mf, etc., with different midi levels to better reflect the real dynamic characteristics of differing instruments.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think from what I hear you may have both staves of the piano on the same channel? I could be wrong on that, but if you do, you should generally use separate instances for each staff, lest the dynamics from one interfere with the other.

In any event, I enjoyed the expertly communicated sense of pensive consideration in this piece. Nicely done.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

HI David

You are right. Both staves heading to the same channel (great ears, sir) on the piano. I continue to learn something new about this program about every 5 minutes. Thanks for the complimentary remark as well.

Also interesting to read what you say about having more than one mf or f or p (etc.) level. I know how to set these levels, and yet, it hadn't occurred to me to establish more than one per marking. I was going with the stock dynamic and then using hairpins and the mixer (a bit) but your solution seems so much more sensible. THANKS!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Lovely, thoughtful piece, Paul.

You can edit (or make altered duplicates of) the stock dynamics in Finale. This is very often necessary with piano: considering the huge dynamic range of the instrument, it's expectable. (The flute, I think perhaps I would just back off in the mix a bit.)

To be clear: You can't expect the Finale dynamics to be one-size-fits-all. I'll often have several different ff or mf, etc., with different midi levels to better reflect the real dynamic characteristics of differing instruments.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think from what I hear you may have both staves of the piano on the same channel? I could be wrong on that, but if you do, you should generally use separate instances for each staff, lest the dynamics from one interfere with the other.

In any event, I enjoyed the expertly communicated sense of pensive consideration in this piece. Nicely done.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    HI David

You are right. Both staves heading to the same channel (great ears, sir) on the piano. I continue to learn something new about this program about every 5 minutes.
    Yeah... me, too; and probably everyone else... lol.

I know these things for a very simple reason. I'm perhaps a bit ahead of you on the learning curve, and I've blundered my fool backside through some of them already.

What I do for multiple expressions is make a copy of, say, an existing f... and rename it to, say, f(oboe) (and of course, change the dynamic level as needed).

Then, highlight the "(oboe)" part of the expression, and with the text editor, select hidden.

That way, you can discern the difference when you're reading score in Finale... but when you print out [or pdf a score] -- the "(oboe)" part of the text in the expression does *not* print, and it simply looks like a regular forte marking in the score.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I know nothing about Finale, but to program arpeggiated chords, use your piano roll view and stagger the start time of each note in the chord slightly, beginning with the highest note and then downward. If Finale has an arpeggio symbol then don't use it in this case.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks Larry. Unlike some other programs, Finale doesn't have a piano roll view. I could do this by taking the file over to DP though, so not a bad thought. Thanks for your note.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I know nothing about Finale, but to program arpeggiated chords, use your piano roll view and stagger the start time of each note in the chord slightly, beginning with the highest note and then downward. If Finale has an arpeggio symbol then don't use it in this case.

Regards,

Larry A.

Beautiful piece! I enjoyed this a lot.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum