• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT A few computer questions

Share/Bookmark

OT A few computer questions

Sorry to ask this hear but I need some advice.

I currently use Windows 2000 with Cubase SL 2.0, EW Gold, Silver, etc, etc. I will be getting Gold Pro and the Korg legacy collection soon which only run on Windows XP.

Quetion 1: Windows XP Pro or is Windows XP Home OK?

In order to install Windows XP on my existing computer I was going to buy a new drive and Windows XP. But then it's the unistall/re-install/authorization process, drivers, etc x 100. So I came up with the brilliant idea of buying a second computer for my music.

Question 2: Is it FX Teleport that allows the audio from a second computer to stream into the 1st comuter, therefore not needing a second audio card in the second computer?

Question 3: Does this work flawlessly (no stuttering, hiccups, etc?

Question 4: Could I install Gold Pro XP the Korg Legacy collection and any thing else that only works on Windows XP and still keep my system that runs 2000 as the master. (i.e. will the two Os's play nicely together?

I am on a strict budget here. (read begging the wife why can't she beg me once in a while???)

The main reason i'm thinking of a second computer is that the one I have right now is purring along nicely and I know if I try to install Windows XP on it it will raise it's middle finger up at me as I some how accidently re-write the kernel

Any thoughts would be appreciated (begging tips as well)

Thanks guys,

Darren

Re: OT A few computer questions

Hi Darren,

Quetion 1: Windows XP Pro or is Windows XP Home OK?

XP Home is fine for a slave machine. XP Pro supports dual processors though if you ever wanted to go crazy.

Question 2: Is it FX Teleport that allows the audio from a second computer to stream into the 1st comuter, therefore not needing a second audio card in the second computer?

Correct.

Question 3: Does this work flawlessly (no stuttering, hiccups, etc?

There can be some teething problems setting it up, I recommend two Gigabit speed network cards and a cat6 crossover cable. (assuming two computers only here.) If you go down this path, I can help you streamline it with some optimal network settings.

Question 4: Could I install Gold Pro XP the Korg Legacy collection and any thing else that only works on Windows XP and still keep my system that runs 2000 as the master. (i.e. will the two Os's play nicely together?

Yes should be fine. XP and 2k are not significantly different really.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (begging tips as well)

Cry like a baby. Works for me.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I don't know about Teleport or Korg, but as far as XP goes, the differences between Home and Pro have no impact on its use as an audio workstation, so you'll be fine with Home. Although, one really nice thing you get with Pro is Remote Desktop, which is very cool. It's kinda like PC Anywhere (if you're familiar), but it's much nicer (and faster) and keeps you from having to have a monitor switch box. You can just log into the 2nd computer from your 1st computer remotely.

Also, bear in mind that XP is much better at audio than 2000 is.

buzz

Thanks for the help guys! Scott if I go that route I'll definitely take you up on the settings!

Darren
    (Cryin' like a newborn!)

Go Back to forum