• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI panning - good or bad?

Share/Bookmark

MIDI panning - good or bad?

A long time ago, before Giga 3, someone told me that MIDI panning (using the pan controls in Sonar) is not a good idea, because it's not "true" panning, and you lose stereo information. He said to pan using the DSPs in Giga.

Now that Giga 3 is out.. does this still hold true? I notice when I pan in Sonar, it changes the panning on the mixer in Giga.. but not the DSPs, obviously. Is it OK to use Sonar to pan? Am I "losing" anything by doing this? Or should I still use the DSPs to do panning, and set up left/right/center DSP presets?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: MIDI panning - good or bad?

Sam:

I use ONLY the DSP for panning. I have better control ("width" also) and it is more convenient (for me) having it where I do most of my tweaking...

Ted

I think the panning remains the same: midi panning results in the reduction of one side of the signal. Not that big a deal with most stereo samples, but you are still "losing" something that way. The latest (giga 3.10-3.12) updates have a good feature that helps with tracking things like dsp panning: you can now label the inputs, so that from the midi mixer you can tell to which dsp input each midi mixer output goes.

I think Gugliel is correct. The only way to control GS panning is with MIDI, and that signal can come from Sonar or any other MIDI source. The only real issues to worry about would seem to be sync and latency.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    The only way to control GS panning is with MIDI, and that signal can come from Sonar or any other MIDI source.
    It's not the only way.. you can also pan in Giga with the DSP controls.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Yes, I never do MIDI panning; DSP is the way to go as you are actually panning the audio, not the MIDI signal.

D

Right, I didn't mean to imply midi panning was the only possibility, at all. You can pan with midi cc#10 or by setting the "pos" control in gs's dsp mixer input section, or even in the groups and aux sections. If you want midi controlled panning without loss of part of the stereo signal, you can also set up midi automation to drive the "pos" control with some unused midi controller number. But that's time consuming to set up, and my tracks never change pan once set, so I just use the position and width in gigastudio, as others said above.

You know what's funny.. as much as I try in GigaPulse to pan things using that stage setup, it never works. I have the L and R mics aimed at the far left.. and it still sounds mostly dead center. Unless I'm using it wrong. It's kind of a complicated beast, in my opinion. I guess I'll just ignore those settings and use the DSP mixers to set the pan levels. Right now I have three GigaPulse instances for stage left/center/right.. let me tell you, it's quite a CPU hog. So maybe I'm better off with just one GigaPulse instance, set dead center, and use the DSPs to pan left/center/right..and run all of those via aux into GigaPulse. It'll be more CPU friendly, and get the panning job done better.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam, you got it right! That is the way to go..

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Looks like I misunderstood you! The DSP controls are controlled by MIDI, right? Or did you mean using your mouse to click the DSP knobs/sliders in Giga's UI "by hand"?
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum