• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Yet another memory management thread

Share/Bookmark

Yet another memory management thread

Hi everyone. I know that this Giga memory stuff has been discussed a million times and believe me, to my knowledge, I have read everything on this forum about it. But I have questions I just can't figure out.

I worked with the Giga configuration management utility and found that with Preset #4 I got the most useable memory when running the test. It was 845Mb (55%). I have 3Gb of memory in my machine but I know that only 2Gb will really be used. But I don't think 845Mb is really in the ballpark of what I keep reading other people are getting (>1Gb). I can't figure out why. Could it be that I just need to try more values for the registry fields? Which ones?

I recently bought TBO and that's what got me going with all this stuff. I was not able to load the .gsi files provided, although I could load some of the .gig files. This was with preset #4 as I said.

Today I tried the Mattias utility to set values in the registry because I didn't know if it used the same values as the Giga utility and figured I'd give it a try. But a strange thing happened. When I used preset #2 from that utility, I got the best results, although still far from stirling. 725Mb, again using the Giga utility to do the testing. Less than with the preset of the Giga utility. The TBO .gsi files would still not load, which didn't surprise me. But here's the odd part. When I used preset #1 from that utility, the Giga utility only reported about 550Mb useable. However, suddenly the .gsi files would load, at least one at a time.

So this has me baffled. A setting that tells me I have less useable memory allows me to load something I couldn't load with a setting that said I had more useable memory. With preset #4 from the Giga utility, the one that told me I had 845Mb useable memory, I started loading things and watched the task manager screen for the size of msg32.exe. When I got the message 'Unknown System Error - Do you want to continue?', the Giga memory meter showed 55%, exactly what it had said I could use, the the task manager screen showed that msg32.exe was at 920Mb. Is the difference the part of msg32.exe that is not the samples?

I never knew when I decided to try my hand at Gigastudio that it would get so damn complicated at the system level. I knew the learning curve to actually produce music with it would be pretty steep for me but all this memory stuff and vendor files not loading for me that load for other people and BSOD's just because I got an error. I really don't know where to turn to sort this all out. I have been working with Worra on the TBO problem and he is sort of baffled as to why the .gsi files won't load when the .gig files will. He has suggested that I rebuild all the .gsi files one at a time, and while this method might actually work for me, I don't like having to do it without understanding why. It's a fair bit of work I shouldn't have to do. And I really don't understand the files loading with a memory configuration that indicates less available memory and not loading with one that indicates more available memory.

Should I be trying other registry parameter values besides just those in the Giga utility and the Mattias utility? Could the fact that I have 3GB of physical memory in the machine have some adverse affect on all of this? Are there other parameters in Giga that I perhaps don't have configured well? I have checked out many sites about XP tweaks for DAWs and I think I pretty much have everything set the right way as far as XP is concerned. I don't know if I have every service shut down that I possibly could but I have certainly gone through them and adjusted settings according to recommendations.

Can some of you PLEASE help me to make sense of all this?

Thanks ......... Rob

Re: Yet another memory management thread

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    ....BSOD's just because I got an error. ...
    Thanks ......... Rob
    Rob,

I can't help much, but one thing you need to understand (and it's not entirely clear to me that you do, so here goes) is that giga's memory meter is not directly proportional to config manager's numbers: config tells you:

a) how much memory is "available" for inst loading-a useless number, because;

b) running the test will tell you how much, percentage-wise, of THAT you can fill.

c)On top of that, as is my understanding, giga's memory meter shows the percentage of THAT you have filled. So:

My system, for example contains 1024 megs of ram. GS Config tells me that I have 766 MB of that available for instrument loading. It then tells me that 89% (684 MB) of that is tested for instrument loading (Under preset 2). I know this is not the limit of my memory meter, as I have filled it under the same circumstances to over 90%. It is therefor my belief that I get about 90% of 684 MB, or 615.6 MB.

This is all very frustrating and complex. When I had two gigs of RAM, I had a choice between about 800 megs of loading capacity, (under preset 4) with extreme system instability, or less loading capacity (under any other preset)in total than I was getting with 1 gig of ram. So even though I read up like all hell, and got some good help from some ofthe folks here in the know, I ended up going back to my gig of ram just so I could make my deadline. Now I'm waiting to get a second giga box together. I figure the other gig will give me (god willing) another 600-odd megs when put into another computer, thus giving me 1200 plus megs-50% more than I was able to get out of one computer with 2 gigs of RAM. Pause for someone to tell me exactly how in god's name I get that much out one machine....??.....No? K. I'll continue, then.

The testing you did w/Mattias' tweaks is very interesting-never got into that one. I thought his techniques went the way of the Dodo after giga's memory config came out. Maybe not. There is an extensive thread on this subject at the VSL forum, in case you didn't know. I guess I should start reading it again.

Please feel free to correct me on any of my explanations of the memory testing stuff. Really-I'd love to hear someone say that Rob (OR I) can still get more out of one box. In fact please do. Obviously this is not a dead issue. Those of you who are getting 1200 megs out of one machine: HOW???

Rob: I hope I haven't busted your bubble, and I hope my above math is correct, thus offering you some insight. You only made fleeting mention of BSOD. Have you had many issues w/stability under various configurations? Please share.

Belbin

I'm only getting BSOD's when something in Giga that I'm trying to do does not complete properly. I don't always get BSOD's when something gets an error but any time I do get them it seems I'm doing something that won't complete properly, like trying to load the TBO .gsi files. I still can't figure out what's going on with that. How do I get then loaded with all the meters saying I have less memory to use and can't when the meters say I have more available to use.

Hopefully we will get some more responses to this. I would really like to figure out how to get 1GB or even a little more of available memory for Giga to load instruments (other than waiting for 64 Bit Giga).

Thanks for responding. I certainly agree that this memory stuff is kind of mind boggling, even for a computer systems consultant like myself.

Rob

Hey guys..

Ok, this is my understanding at the moment with XP 32 bit and it's use of ram!
    For some of us, we can now afford at least 2 gigs of ram or more. It seems like very few programs run the way GS3 runs... At the kernal level!
    So some people have 1.5 gigs of ram lets say... Well GS3 uses (1 process) to load samples! That (process) whether it be GS3 or Photoshop at this point in time in XP 32bit land can only access with tweaking etc. about 1.1, 1.2 gigs of ram. So that's to say that having say GS3 accessing 1.1 gigs of ram and Nuendo accessing 1 gig of you should need about 2.5 gigs of ram for all 3 (XP, GS3 and Nuendo to run!
    Now you say you have 4 gigs of ram!... A dedicated GS3 machine! Guess what, you still can only access approximately 1.1 to 1.2 gigs of ram for GS3... The rest of the ram sits there idly by waiting for something to do!

I have a similar system to yours, Goldberg!
    An Asus A8V deluxe with 2 gigs of ram, 5 drives, 2 raid 0 for audio and 2 Sata raid 0 for samples! I run GS3 (rewire), Nuendo 3, with BFD, plugs and IE and she's great! Now with me as well I had some problems running TBO at first because I didn't want all my resources just for GS3!
    I used preset # 1 and was finally able to load the TBO.gsi file! Man it sounds sweet! I've also been using cachemanXP http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_...e=product&id=7
    Ran the optimize for me defaults and have a little preview screen on my taskbar! Before I used it, my system TBO.gsi was in totall using about 1.35 gigs of ram. After cacheman tweaks she is down to 950 mb!
    YOu may want to pull a stick of ram out of your machine and rerun the GS3 optimizer again!
    I'm wanting to load 2 more gigs or ram in, but wonder if that would do more harm than good.
    Later
    The BriGuy

Rob ,

I don't know if this would be of any help. I don't use TBO at the momment but I might look into it soon.

If only regarding memory and Giga , I did an interesting find today.
    I tweaked my windows OS with the pcAUDIOLABS protocol and went from an available amount of 850 megs something to 1.5 gig of available Ram for sample loading with a 2 gig Ram system Giga standalone PC.

I'm very surprised at this..!!

wow !

Yves

Seclusion, thanks for responding.

1. I can't get my memory usage up to anything over 854Mb according to the Giga configuration utility. I don't know how to tweak it any more to get more.

2. Are you saying that having 3GB of memory might actually be hurting me? I run Sonar on the same machine. Can't it make use of some of the memory separate from Giga?

Rob

Yves, that's amazing. I don't know if that would happen for me because PCAUDIOLABS built my PC. Hopefully those tweaks are already there. But I'll check it out.

UPDATE: I just checked out all the things that are listed on the PCAUDIOLAB website and some of them are NOT done on my computer. I wonder why they would have this great list of tweaks and yet only some of them are applied to my system. I am going to ask Fred over there, who built my system. I am also going to try to apply them all and see what happens. I can always put the new changes back to where they were if I want.

Any other opinions on all this stuff with the memory management issue? I really want to figure out how to get more useable memory out of my machine for Giga. I got 3Gb for the machine because I thought Sonar could use some and Giga could use some. Is there a fallacy in my thinking?

Rob

Rob

Give her a try Rob, just pull out 1 stick and see what happens.
    Later

yeah..i would do the same..pull out a stick

Yves

Would these PC Audio lab tweaks help an XPC machine. I am only able to get 908 MB out of this system. Was told that adding a vid card would give me another 64 MB but worried about heat in that tight space.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast