• Register
  • Help

Topic: X-Custom & other new controllers tutorial?

Share/Bookmark

X-Custom & other new controllers tutorial?

Has anyone created, or is there any plans for, a tutorial showing how to really use the X-Custom feature and the new programmable MIDI controllers? I briefly took a look at the update manual, and it seemed that there is a goldmine of possibilities available.

I'm new to MIDI (and GPO) and up till now I haven't paid much attention to any controllers other than the "Basic" ones: Mod Wheel, Velocity, Sustain. I haven't had need to really dig into the Portamento tutorial, but I may do so soon.

But I'm working on something now, and i think I will need to use the "Length" and the hidden "Vibrato" controllers. The manual covers how to use them technically, but I'm looking for an experienced person to describe them musically.

Also, I tried loading up the X-Custom solo violins, and I couldn't figure out where to set the controls to get them to sound like the normal versions. If I just could get it to that, then I could tinker with them to suit the music. For example, what should the mod wheel slider be, 100% or more like 80%? What about the brightness control, 50% or 0%?

anyone?
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Re: X-Custom & other new controllers tutorial?

I feel a little dumb, but I just noticed that there is a tutorial by Joseph Burrell on the Garritan site. I'll take the tutorial...

Anyway, I'd like to know how much people are using these features. It seems like there are 2 kinds of users on this forum, those who use GPO to do mock-ups and primarily use notation, and the folks like DPDAN who really get into the nitty gritty of the shape of the sounds.

I would love to read some tips and experiences with the X-Custom and other new controllers.
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Unfortunately, I have not had any success using the X-Custom presets in my sequencing. It seems that after adjusting the settings , saving and closing the project and then reopening it, the slider stays stuck in the negative position. I have not read any recent posts about the progress in elimnating this bug.
    Bosco Adama

If you're at the most recent version, the slider works fine -- it's just the reverse of what you would expect it to be.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum