• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaStudio 3 Orchestra & Vienna Symphonic

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio 3 Orchestra & Vienna Symphonic

The Giga3 website gives a brief outline of the Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) instruments that come with Giga 3 Orchestra. However, it gives no indication of exacty which VSL products these instruments represent -- eg, are they all of the VSL Opus 1? All of the VSL First or Pro Editions? Just a small/large collection taken from those products? Which articulations are included? If anyone can help me on this, I'd really appreciate it!

For those who aren't aware of this issue, here are the Giga 3 Orchestra VSL instruments listed on Giga's website; as you can see, the list gives only the barest of info:

Violin Ensemble,Viola Ensemble, Cello Ensemble,Double Bass Ensemble, Harp, Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon,Horn - Solo,Horn Ensemble,Trumpet,Trumpet Ensemble,Trombone, Trombone Ensemble, Timpani, Mallets, Orchestral Percussion.

Re: GigaStudio 3 Orchestra & Vienna Symphonic

In general the only articulations are sustains and staccatos. Strings also include pizz and tremolo. It's enough to cover the basic orchestra playing basic techniques.

Here's a quick piece that I did using only VGS that highlights the various sections and uses GigaPulse's medium hall:

http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/music/J...Pulse_Test.mp3

-JF

Lightbulb Re: GigaStudio 3 Orchestra & Vienna Symphonic

Also be aware that all of the VSL and many of the other libs included with GS3 Ensemble are demo version instruments or cripple-ware (as is GS3 Ensemble itself to a certain extent).
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    Also be aware that all of the VSL and many of the other libs included with GS3 Ensemble are demo version instruments or cripple-ware (as is GS3 Ensemble itself to a certain extent).
    Thanks for this feedback. Your answer brings me to a few more questions:
    1. What's "cripple-ware"?
    2. How do demo versions differ from the real thing?
    3. Would this (demos/cripple-ware) be true of GS3 Orchestra as well?
    On another note, would you say that Giga 3 is much different than Giga 2.5?

Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    In general the only articulations are sustains and staccatos. Strings also include pizz and tremolo. It's enough to cover the basic orchestra playing basic techniques.-JF
    Thank-you! I'm looking forward to hearing your mp3.

While we're on the topic, would either of you care to share your thoughts on how the major sample libraries compare? (I'm looking for a good classical orchestra sample library -- good not only for full orchestra, but also for smaller ensembles.)

I've listened to demos from VS, EW, IK's Miroslav Philharmonik, and even Synful Orchestra. VS and EW are beautiful, but - so far - sometimes seem to lack expressive/aggressive string articulations; Miroslav seems to have the expression, but the sounds themselves sometimes disappoint; Synful, as another forum participant once put it, is like hearing an excellent performer on a really poor instrument. So far, I haven't had the opportunity to try these out myself - sample by sample, and would really welcome your opinions!

Lightbulb Re: GigaStudio 3 Orchestra & Vienna Symphonic

Quote Originally Posted by michael_maberly
    Thanks for this feedback. Your answer brings me to a few more questions:
    1. What's "cripple-ware"?
    2. How do demo versions differ from the real thing?
    3. Would this (demos/cripple-ware) be true of GS3 Orchestra as well?
    On another note, would you say that Giga 3 is much different than Giga 2.5?
    1. "cripple-ware" == A program or product that is limited in some way until unlocked or upgraded.

2. Many of the lib instruments with GS3 Ensemble have only a limited range of notes. Usually such instruments can often be downloaded from the parent sites as demo instruments. Ensemble does have a few instruments that are full ranged: all the VSL instruments are limited in Ensemble.

3) I am guessing that GS3 Orchestra has full ranged instruments, being top of the GS3 line. As well, GS3 Orch is the fully functional product, unlike the lower level products.

3.5) WIth SG3 Orch, you are getting more value for the money compared with 2.5 (VST, GigaPulse, full instrument libs, etc), but as you head down to the lower levels below Orchestra, 2.5 matches up very well with 3.x. 3.x continues to be a bit demented in the bugs department and 2.5x seems rock solid. Still, given the choice between 3.x and 2.5, 3.x wins, ...so far... A little more user time with 3.x will tell.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    1. "cripple-ware" . . .
    I really appreciate the feedback -- thanks!

Hello fellow Ontarian:

I do have GS3 Orchestra. For a long time I was using the VSL samples which came with the program. I was less than satisfied with the samples. It was however better than my old libraries.
    I took advantage of Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Strings offer, and as soon I tried them, I changed my tamplets to use only Kirk's string samples, keeping all other instruments from VSL.
    Just about a month ago Kirk came up with his orchestra (Sapphire and Emerald). I got the Sapphire (budget) and I am very happy.
    Suggest you listen to his demos.

Good luck

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    Hello fellow Ontarian:
    Hello! Small world
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    I do have GS3 Orchestra. . . I was less than satisfied with the [VSL samples that came with it]. . .I took advantage of Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Strings offer, . . .and I am very happy.
    Ted
    Thank-you, Ted! I'll try to find and download his demos now. As an Ontarian, where did you manage to find his libraries? Did they actually have a not-for-resale copy on their computer, with which you could try it out?

Go Back to forum