• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Thoughts on Traktion

Share/Bookmark

OT: Thoughts on Traktion

OK, I've had Traktion for almost a year now, (I got the free NFR version that Mackie was offering a while ago) however, I just finally got to sit and play with it. Let me just say, I think I'm in love.

I'm really getting into the whole minimalistic view of my studio. By that, I mean, as little a possible to write and record. I find that I get distracted too easily and end up losing the inspiration to write. The whole idea began when I bought GPO. One program, an entire orchestral library. Beautiful.

Now, Sibelius is going to be bundled with GPO. Even Better. That takes care of the Notation aspect.

Then I discover Traktion. A simple interface with everything right there on one screen. Absolutly perfect. I've been a Cakewalk user for years, but I think I'm going to change over to Traktion for good. The only drawback I had with Traktion is that you cannot import video. So I check out Mackie's website and, lo and behold, Traktion 2 has video import. Fabulous.

Not that any of this matters to anyone here. I just needed to sing out my joy. At least Jerry will be happy!!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Thoughts on Traktion

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost

Not that any of this matters to anyone here. I just needed to sing out my joy. At least Jerry will be happy!!

Jonny

Yep! And Jonny, you and I are not the only ones here that love Tracktion. i know of a few others whos names are eluding me at the present, but be assured.

There are a few things about T1 at least that I would love improved (getting K2 has wiped my upgrade fund. I REALLY want to get T2). But as far as interfaces, I love the modular design and you will not find a more CPU and RAM friendly DAW out there. It also is one of the most inexpensive ones out there but can still do a lot of the same things the "big boys" can.

Tracktioneer GPO'ers unite!

LOL

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I tried it. Very cool concept and CPU efficient. However, when it came to mixing, I often got distracted by the "minimalist" faders. Too small and often you'd get the pan control instead of fader (they're on the same "fader" control) - a bit frustrating to say the least. They should have a "mixdown" mode or something. I couldn't see mixing anything but small projects with this.

In the early version, aux effects (not direct insert "filters") were a PITA and in general Cubase SX was 100% easier and more intututive than all but the most basic features of Traktion. However, that was an old version so I'm sure some things have been improved upon (aux sends?)...

IMHO, Cubase SX is much more flexible, mature, and intutive. If you have dual monitors, then the whole argument for Traktion's "everything on one screen" concept is nulled. SX is a dream on two monitors! That said, Traktion did work well on my Powerbook in terms of CPU usage and screen efficiency. I may use it for mobile rough tracking in the future (but I'd have to put it up against the free Garageband first).

Just my thoughts on my experience with the early version...

Tracktion is cool. Ultimately though, for me, I don't think it comes close to Sonar 5, so I rarely use it for anything anymore... Sonar 5 actually seems to have adopted a couple of things from Tracktion, like the main page piano roll and per clip effects. I wasn't all that crazy about T2 when I tried the demo, as being much of an improvement over the original, but to be fair I didn't try it all that much. Anyway, I couldn't agree more that it is a great program for the price and worth checking out when shopping for DAW software.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I'll have to agree that there wasn't a noticeable improvement (not for what I'd be using it for) to Tracktion 2.

However, I do like the program for what it is. It is nice to open a sequencer and not immediately have to start hunting for things. The single screen concept for everything has its plusses and minuses to be sure, but it does help the workflow. There's still a lot of midi editing enhancements that could be made to the program to further it along IMO. However, its a strong contender. If you come from a traditional sequencer/DAW, it may take some getting used to (as you'll find happens when you change any program you're used to working in.)

I've pretty much stopped using it, though, lately. Well, I shouldn't have to say why really.

However, Jonny, I think you'd be better served by ditching both Sibelius and Tracktion and joining us on the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert
    I tried it. Very cool concept and CPU efficient. However, when it came to mixing, I often got distracted by the "minimalist" faders. Too small and often you'd get the pan control instead of fader (they're on the same "fader" control) - a bit frustrating to say the least. They should have a "mixdown" mode or something. I couldn't see mixing anything but small projects with this.
    Hmmm. i know where you are coming from on that, but, to be fair, I used T1 to score my entire ballet. (and just about everything else I have produced since January.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert
    In the early version, aux effects (not direct insert "filters") were a PITA and in general Cubase SX was 100% easier and more intututive than all but the most basic features of Traktion. However, that was an old version so I'm sure some things have been improved upon (aux sends?)...
    IMHO, Cubase SX is much more flexible, mature, and intutive. If you have dual monitors, then the whole argument for Traktion's "everything on one screen" concept is nulled. SX is a dream on two monitors! That said, Traktion did work well on my Powerbook in terms of CPU usage and screen efficiency. I may use it for mobile rough tracking in the future (but I'd have to put it up against the free Garageband first).

Just my thoughts on my experience with the early version...
    The AUX sends are there, but are just not where you'd expect. I actually started with Cubase SX and found it to be powerful, but way too hard on my resources (see my specs below in my signature) (and a pain to set up tracks and inputs and outputs. It was my first foray into DAWs, so I know that had something to do with it. I found Tracktion awkward at first, but a welcome breath of fresh air after I spent a few hours with it.
    Traction 2 lets you have a scaleable Window, rather than keeping the whole thing taking up the whole screen, so using it with dual monitors is not a problem anymore. (though - I find the all on the screen thing VERY cool. That was the one thing I hated about Cubase. You NEED 2 monitors to have all those windows opened. I like GB too, but not for midi editing. You cannot draw in CC data. (nor export as a MIDI file)
    I suspect to each his own. The Rack feature is great. And I find T2's movie import and composing to film much easier than with Cubase. (I still need to upgrade dang-it. )

It works well for me, but if I had a nice beefy G5 or something, along with some more money, I might be more inclined to like the bigger, more expensive apps. But I am not so sure

Whether we can articulate them or not, we each have our reasons for liking or disliking a DAW. Each musician has a comfort zone and really that is all that matters. Creating music is such a personal thing. Our tools are extensions of our creativity. I know many fantastic composers who, though very "computer music" literate, still prefer pencil and manuscript paper. It is what works for them.

Jerry.

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    There's still a lot of midi editing enhancements that could be made to the program to further it along IMO.
    JB, you are right there. I have become very fast at Tracktion's MIDI editing, but find some things frustrating.

I am still waiting to see Overture 4 for Mac before I even consider ditching Tracktion. And to be fair, Tracktion does do actual AUDIO, whereas Overture is strictly a VST related app, so it really cannot replace Traction in that regard. But as a midi editor, I'd say Overture 4 is hard to beat

(ps - did you get my email?)

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Yeah, sorry. I'm just so busy lately.

Thanks for the reminder.

Go Back to forum