• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A small piece trashed away...

Share/Bookmark

A small piece trashed away...

So,

The director said this is not good (movie reworked, need for a more transparent texture...). I'm already working on a totally diffeent version. In this light, I can trash away this small piece. Be sweeter with it, than my director was :-(

http://www.studio-magazine.com/music/extrema.html

Paolo

Re: A small piece trashed away...

Quote Originally Posted by ptram
    So,

The director said this is not good (movie reworked, need for a more transparent texture...). I'm already working on a totally diffeent version. In this light, I can trash away this small piece. Be sweeter with it, than my director was :-(

Paolo

Paolo,

Nothing wrong with the production of this. I have no idea what is going on in the film that this piece would be supporting, so I cannot make that judegment, but it sounds just fine. Perhaps the director wanted something different mood-wise?

Anyway - the cue sounds fine to me.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Paolo,

Good job. I would have to agree with Jerry. As far as the cue goes, it stands by itself as a very dramatic moment. Directors are weird like that sometimes. I'd say, don't trash it. Hold onto the tune and keep it for your demo reel.

I'd love to hear more. IF there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Jonny
    www.jonnylostinc.com
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

I thought this was a nice beginning and not too "thick" in texture. I agree with the other comments in that we need to hear more and know what kind of scene this is supporting.

What is the director's definition of "transparent?" Less instruments, less movement, less mood? Just curious. I thought this was a nice sample.

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Dear friends,

First of all, thank you very much for lending an ear. Now that I've nearly finished the new version of the piece, I can take a breath and see things in perspective.

As Jerry suggested, the director needed something different in mood. His first idea was to let the music describe the natural background, but we eventually found it was a bad idea. Pictures were already so bright and expressive, that there was no need for music to make them shine.

On the contrary, the "creature" suddenly appearing in the middle of a forest did need to be underlined. Here comes the music, that must have a more dramatic character. As Paula notes, it was not a matter of transparency, already present in the first draft. This, added to the fact that -- as Jerry points out -- directors are odd people...

At this point, a complete rewriting was due. The music & video will be delivered to the publisher next friday. I'll post a link (or a schedule of MTV2, if we are as lucky as with the previous video...).

As usual, crossing my fingers...

Thanx,
    Paolo

Hi all,

Finally, the new version of the piece has been approved by the director, and then by the managers at Virgin V2. The video is out, and I wish it the best of luck.

Here is my small introduction, made with a mix of Garritan, EXS24 and Kontakt 2, plus a sample I created at the moment. Reverbs are Kontakt's and Logic's Space Designer. I guess the piece sounds a bit different than the original one...

Best,
    Paolo

(Sorry for the copyright notice, but I prefer to save my a** from any evenience...)

This version is very, very nice. Good luck on the video.

RichR

Hi, my followers,
    The video is finally online. But it takes ages to download...
    http://www.extremateam.com/
    Paolo

Thumbs up Re: A small piece trashed away...

Excellent! Would love to see the video! Much luck to you and your music!
    Styxx

Directors! What do they know about music... lol?

I think you did a fine job on this, ptram -- interesting soundscaping!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast