• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vocal Booth / Room?

Share/Bookmark

Question Vocal Booth / Room?

In the construction of a vocal booth / room, should one render the space as dead as possible or leave some reflective surface? I've been up on plenty of sites with suggestions and techniques for building such a room that I became curious as to yours and your experiences.
    Thanks in advance.
    Styxx

Re: Vocal Booth / Room?

All the vocal booths I've seen have included a window so that the singers could visually communicate with the producers and recording engineers. Obviously, it's kind of hard to muffle glass, so I don't think it's absolutely crucial that every part of the booth be completely dead.

(Though if I remember correctly, all windows should be double-walled for better soundproofing.)

Personally, I hate singing in a highly damped space; it makes the voice sound so flat and lifeless.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

I thank you sir for your reply. Yes, a window must be incorporated but I was wondering if any other inside wall should be left without any or too much soundproofing material.
    I've recorded vocal in my studio, which is not soundproofed. I've had to wait until everyone was out of the house or asleep. A vocal room would make recording easier.
    Thanks again.
    Styxx

I have seen a completely dead vocal room sans window. I imagine it serves those who are immune to claustrophobia quite well.

I think anywhere from completely dead to medium rare is fine, depending on what kind of work you're doing.

By the way, if you've never performed in a completely dead space, it's a very unusual experience the first time you get in there. You won't recognize the sounds you hear, and your ear is likely to tell you everything you do is ugly. That's why they strap earphones on you, and let you hear the "mix." Well, among other reasons.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Don't do it, use a nice mic in the middle of the room, as long as it's quiet. Make some gobos with 1" by 2" wood frames and use thick fiberglass insulation wrapped in felt, choose your color. All very cheap materials, and easy to make. To make one gobo, make two panels approximately six feet tall by 2 feet wide, hinge them together, and they can be easily moved into place using two or three surrounding the musican/mics. They stand on their own when they're mostly opened. A booth sounds ugly IMO.

dpDan

Thumbs up Re: Vocal Booth / Room?

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Don't do it, use a nice mic in the middle of the room, as long as it's quiet. Make some gobos with 1" by 2" wood frames and use thick fiberglass insulation wrapped in felt, choose your color. All very cheap materials, and easy to make. To make one gobo, make two panels approximately six feet tall by 2 feet wide, hinge them together, and they can be easily moved into place using two or three surrounding the musican/mics. They stand on their own when they're mostly opened. A booth sounds ugly IMO.

dpDan
    Geezzzz Dan I forgot all about that concept! It's like those tubular thingies we used at Loft Studios where one side can be turned for more reflective or turned for more absorption, Yes?
    Thanks Dan! You saved me tons of money and woik! As for a "nice" mic, what are your suggestions and please, nothing over $100.000.00. My savings is tapped out and all my cards are petrified from non-use!
    Me call you, yes? No? Maybe not? Yes?

Lets see, I'll need some insultingation. Some fewm, and a minkie, sir.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum