• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Help Please. "Secondary Drive not found"

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help Please. "Secondary Drive not found"

Can somebody give me a clue here. When my Dell P4 2.6 (2 years old) fires up. It tells me that my secondary drive isnt found and then I have no CD rom or DVD drive showing up under "My Computer". So loading a new video project or audio is impossible right now and I actually really need to be able to load a new project right now. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Eric

Cool Re: OT: Help Please. "Secondary Drive not found"

Hi Eric;

Could you post as much detail as possible about your computer. Its hard to troubleshoot without all the information at hand. I am assuming you added a second drive, is it a sata or ide. Remember, lot of the sata drive now come configured for Sata 11, and if you don't set the jumpers on these, it will not be recognized.

Since both your Drive as well as DVD rom is not recognized, it could be your jumper settings of your drive and DVD rom. Also check your bios to see if you see it in there. I will say this, My knowledge of Propriatary PC manufacturers is a little limited (By Propriatary, I mean Dell, Gateway etc), but I will do the best I can to help.

I always troubleshoot starting from the simplest things I can do and working my way to the most complex. (Just common sense).
    I always have extra components that I sway to eliminate the potential of problem in that component. In your case, part of the troubleshooting would be to swap cables, swap drives, etc, and so forth

I'll check back later

Re: OT: Help Please. "Secondary Drive not found"

Thanks for the response. I've had this computer for 2 years and I havent changed anything. These drives came with it. Just all of a sudden it doesnt recognize them. When I boot up, it stops in dos and says "Secondary Drive 0 not found" and "Secondary Drive 1 not found" "Press F1 to continue or F2 for setup". If I press F1, everything starts fine but "My Computer" says there is no D or E drive (my CD-Rom and DVD-Rom respectively). It is a Dell Dimension 4600 with an intel P4, 2.6 Ghz processor. It has 1 gig of ram. I even want to say that this same thing happened last year and someone came up with a fix on this site but I really dont remember. Thanks.

Eric

Ok, its still hard to tell what it might be, since you haven't done anything to the computer. One possibility might be the CMOS battery. Do you have a little battery tester, or you could eliminately the possiblity by just replacing the battery and then you could clear the cmos and reconfigure the bios, and see if that fixes it. If a battery is getting low in power, it may not be able to keep the bios settings, and revert to not recognizing the drives. Just one possiblity

But again this may or may not solve the problem, your just eliminating one possible cause.

Eric, the next time you boot the computer and you see F1 and F2, hit F2 which should take you into the Bios. See if the drive and DVD rom is recognized there. If it is not listed there, then its most probably bios related, or battery, cables, jumpers, etc. Sometimes a bios flash may even fix this. But if it is recornized in the bios, then it may even probably be corrupt windows drivers. Sorry for being vague, but its is very difficult to pin point. You have to troubleshoot but eliminating one possibility at a time. I've heard a quite a few complaints with Dell bios related problems, so you are probably not the only one.

Just a word of advise for the future, for serious video or Audio editing or music production PC. stay away from Dell and the likes, and get or build a PC with components like ASUS, Plextor, etc. I think you would be a lot happier.

Thanks ddarwin,

The drives dont show in the bios. I tried to clear the NVram and that didnt work either (suggested on another site). How do I check the battery? any other suggestions? What if I just bought a new drive? They're pretty cheap these days. Or how could I reinstall this one. I tried the find new hardware wizard but it doesnt fing them. The DVD drive will open and close but the cd-rom drive wont. Light comes on when I open the DVD drive but nothing on the CD drive. Thanks,

Eric

Basic troubleshooting - use changes to probe for information. You've got enough duplication of resources to be able to pinpoint the problem.

Make sure you only have the one hard drive on the cable and set for master. Plug it into the other hard drive connector and go into bios. See if bios finds it. If not, try another cable. Make sure you can hear/feel the drive spinning up and the head clicking as it pops out of it's park position.

If the drive is spinning up and coming out of park and none of the above works "it's dead, Jim."

If the above works, then work your way backwards toward the original configuration to find where the problem is.

The fact that both drives have a problem makes me suspect the power or IDE cables.

With a modern bios you would not have a problem if the battery went out. The bios would annunciate the problem on your screen and wait for you to click a key before it reset itself. Then the bios would automatically detect your drives and as long as the boot drive is master on IDE port #1 you'd be off and running. The only problem you would have would be if you had tweaked/configured I/O - as in disabling ports and manipulating interrupts - in which case your system would no longer be tweaked and you couldn't get the latency you might have had.

Ernie

Just to clarify, It's just my CD and DVD drives that arent working. My internal hard drive is fine. I know the dvd has power because it opens and closes. The Cd drive wont even open.

I would be tempted to just buy a new DVD burner. Unfortunately, if that is not the problem, it will not do you any good.

I am no computer guru, but one of the first things I would do is go through each cable inside the computer and make sure the connections are tight and correct.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

OK, Just an update but as suggested elsewhere, I did a cold restart and immediately tried to open the cd rom drive. It opened. It had a cd in it. Once windows had completely started, I restarted again. No error mentioned in dos this time. Once the machine was all the way going again, I checked under "My Computer" to find that the computer still doesnt see the drives. However, I now dont get the error message in dos as it fires up. I'll post again as I figure this out. Thanks E1

Eric

Go Back to forum