• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Modes"

Share/Bookmark

"Modes"

Y'all,

Here is one of my works that I composed at around seventeen or eighteen years of age, so expect a lot of immaturity. I can't remember, but I think that I was fascinated at the time by the use of alternating major and minor keys so I called it "Modes". Duh!

I ended on a unison tonic to let the listener choose major or minor. When you hear the last, sustained note, alternate between the two modes in your mind and make your choice.

My best to all,

LGA

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Modes.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Modes"

Hi Larry
    I'm quite new to the forum but have already noticed that you are a regular contributor of music and commentary. Very nice to hear this youthful work. It is loaded with optimism and I enjoyed listening to it very much. Since I am a GPO neophite, I have started my journey by (similar to what you have done here) taking old pieces I haven't heard in years and rendering them using GPO in order to learn the ropes. It can be great fun to revisit the music of our well-spent (completely spent) youth. It is helping to listen to your work and the rest of the contributors to the site. Thanks for sharing your music!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi Larry
    I'm quite new to the forum but have already noticed that you are a regular contributor of music and commentary. Very nice to hear this youthful work. It is loaded with optimism and I enjoyed listening to it very much. Since I am a GPO neophite, I have started my journey by (similar to what you have done here) taking old pieces I haven't heard in years and rendering them using GPO in order to learn the ropes. It can be great fun to revisit the music of our well-spent (completely spent) youth. It is helping to listen to your work and the rest of the contributors to the site. Thanks for sharing your music!
    Paul
    Mr. Paul,

I'm not sure that MY youth was well-spent. I devoted a lot of time to chasing chicks. Hey, wait a minute! What's the down-side to that?

I have hundreds of my works from the past on manuscript paper that I hope to slowly GPOize (Brit. - GPOise). The process brings a lot of pleasure to me.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

WOW!! This is awesome! I love the concept, and it is of course well executed.

You simply must have some secret to be composing like this from such a young age

The ending is perfect. I can hear it as either major or minor depending on my desire

Great work, I look forward to more of your old pieces newly GPO-ized!

Your music always lets me forget the woes of life and smile.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    WOW!! This is awesome! I love the concept, and it is of course well executed.

You simply must have some secret to be composing like this from such a young age

The ending is perfect. I can hear it as either major or minor depending on my desire

Great work, I look forward to more of your old pieces newly GPO-ized!

Your music always lets me forget the woes of life and smile.
    Top of the mornin' to ye, Lad.

Thanks for your compliments, Sean Patrick. I guess there is no "secret". I just do it. I actually started composing at around eight years of age.

I am pleased that my music "uplifts" you.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum