• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Great midi e-competition and NI Akoustic demo

Share/Bookmark

Great midi e-competition and NI Akoustic demo

Hi,

On http://www.piano-e-competition.com/ you have great Disklavier midi files :

i've juste recorded the Schumann Kreisleriana, Op. 16 with Akoustik Grand Piano D modified by Xavier and me with a new fade out and overtones :

here the MP3 demo :

http://www.audiolivepro.com/demos/Kr...-Sinkevych.mp3

midi files :

http://www.piano-e-competition.com/c...asinkevych.htm

you can see the pianist play on a Yamaha Disklavier (Video ) :

http://www.piano-e-competition.com/A..._Player_AV.htm

(you have to have realplayer or realplayer alternative installed to view the video)

(http://www.piano-e-competition.com/)

I love the sound of Akoustik that's why Nice_Steinway is discontinued
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    explainations of overtones rules in video

http://audiolivepro.com/resonance_pe...tween_keys.wmv

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Olivier

real player codec :

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Re: Great midi e-competition and NI Akoustic demo

Olivier,

Just listened to your Sinkevych MP3. Lovely timbre; outstanding balance between bass, tenor, and treble. Was that the Bechstein D?

DavidH

Oh cool, just what I need while I'm waiting for the Akoustik update, another promise.

(Where's the smiley with a gun to it's head ... ?)

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier
    explainations of overtones rules in video

[url]http://audiolivepro.com/resonance_pedal_up_between_keys.wmv[/url}
    So ...

Is that Decroux doing the explanations or did someone forget to turn the mics on?

Ernie

ohernie,

Have you heard that there's an update coming to the Akoustic library?

DavidH

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferris
    Olivier,

Just listened to your Sinkevych MP3. Lovely timbre; outstanding balance between bass, tenor, and treble. Was that the Bechstein D?

DavidH
    hi,

What 's Ni write :
    "
    The Concert Grand D is a unique Native Instruments creation based on high resolution samples from the most widely used concert piano in contemporary music, the Steinway™ Model D.
    For the recording session we hired the finest Model D available directly from Steinway™, Hamburg. It is a three year old German Concert Grand D model in excellent condition and is regularly maintained by Steinway's best piano tuners.

The Concert Grand's intonation and regulation were optimized for the lightest playing style. Thus, even with very light strokes, an impressive sound spectrum and controllable tonal nuances are generated, resulting in wonderfully smooth and perfectly sounding pianissimo notes. This piano has an incredibly versatile sound and is particularly suited to solo piano work, jazz, classical, new age as well as other styles of music. "

it's a "marketing text", but yes This Steinway D is incredible.

In the demo it's the Hamburg Steinway D

ohernie,

DavidH
    This demo is recorded with a preset of Xavier Bidault and me.

it was recorded without modify the existing mmidi files and with standard dynamic.

(we could improve the dynamic, change the velocity curve - it's tweakable in Akoustik player)

it's add :

overtones
    improve fade out and repeated keys (can still be improved)

However, the pizzicato and staccato are alrady well programmed in existing presets.

The Akoustik player have a bug with controller pedal down, that's why the internal midi recorder have some troubles (missing notes and ghost not) when you use the pedal down.

This bug doesn't occur in the next Kontakt 2 update and with the update preset.

We have submitted our update to NI.

Regards,

Olivier

ohernie,

DavidH
    That's what support says. At the very least they have to fix little minor problems like it's not responding to midi CC7 (volume) or CC11 (expression).

That's why I repeatedly use the phrase "who signed off on this thing?" whenever I tell someone about the Akoustik.

Release needs some work, not resonance but just occasional flat-out cutoffs and polyphony could use a boost. Note stealing is a joke - there is a problem with it just not playing notes when overloaded (pedal down?).

Sounds good and usable live, though. Given Eric's comments - I very much trust his ear - I'm personally inclined to purchase Ivory and just sidestep the frustration. Akoustik should not have been released in it's current state. Olivier is not helping the situation with his constant ravings about things to come. Kind of "are we there yet?" torture but in reverse - the driver keeps saying "almost there", "almost there", "it'll be great", "almost there" ...

Ernie

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    That's what support says. At the very least they have to fix little minor problems like it's not responding to midi CC7 (volume) or CC11 (expression).

That's why I repeatedly use the phrase "who signed off on this thing?" whenever I tell someone about the Akoustik.

Release needs some work, not resonance but just occasional flat-out cutoffs and polyphony could use a boost. Note stealing is a joke - there is a problem with it just not playing notes when overloaded (pedal down?).

Sounds good and usable live, though. Given Eric's comments - I very much trust his ear - I'm personally inclined to purchase Ivory and just sidestep the frustration. Akoustik should not have been released in it's current state. Olivier is not helping the situation with his constant ravings about things to come. Kind of "are we there yet?" torture but in reverse - the driver keeps saying "almost there", "almost there", "it'll be great", "almost there" ...

Ernie
    There are certainly some frustrations with NI in terms of releasing products before they're ready.

That said, I have to agree with Olivier about the loveliness of the Steinway sample in Akoustik. It is sublime in many ways. The softer samples are exquisitely beautiful. I believe the reason he is so enthusiastic is because it really does sound wonderful. I have the same opinion. It was sampled extremely well, and it captures an aspect of the sound that many libraries do not.

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie

Ernie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    There are certainly some frustrations with NI in terms of releasing products before they're ready.
    Hi,

I agree with Bruce.

Ernie, i've just sent a private mail and you have a link to be less frustrated.

Enjoy !!!!

and it's free work.... (Ivory doesn't have those overtones)

For midi controller : later (Sorry)

Regards,

Olivier

Go Back to forum