• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jacqueline Schwab's piano tone in "The Civil War"

Share/Bookmark

Jacqueline Schwab's piano tone in "The Civil War"

Ken Burns' "The Civil War" is being rerun on the PBS here, and I'm struck again by the tone of the piano Jacqueline Schwab plays throughout. Wonderful, wonderful. A little rattlely (sp?), as befits the need for a sense of older music, but every note is clear, and the harmonies ring.

Anyone else seen\heard this show lately and like the sound of that piano? (So yes, it's another piano I want a sample to sound like. That makes 2: the Steinway in Duluth that Richard Dworsky, the pianist for Garrison Keillor, played, and now this.) I've e-mailed Ms. Schwab to find out the make.

Does it make sense for us to compile a list of piano sounds that we would like to have: citing specific recordings? Would this make the developers suffer too much?

Re: Jacqueline Schwab's piano tone in "The Civil War"

No one cares about this piano tone? Not at all? Did you have to hurt my feelings?

I know the what you mean about the tone. It's very soft and dark.

If you watch the extra features on the DVD you can see the piano used. I don't think it was anything special other then the way it was played but, I could be wrong. I am a student of the Civil War and have watched Ken Burn's documentary many times. All of the music is fantastic and very authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Does it make sense for us to compile a list of piano sounds that we would like to have: citing specific recordings? Would this make the developers suffer too much?
    I think that this is a great idea! When doing the White Grand I used several examples of recordings that people had sent me!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

I have intimated several times on this forum that I absolutely adore old uprights with quirky idiosyncracies. Thus far I haven't been COMPLETELY satisfied with the pianos in this vein. Though Worra has come the closest!

I did just acquire a top secret piano tha I want to sample for my own private collection. Uber excited about it!

JPS

If I remember correctly, the piano used was a grand and not an upright. I'll need to check the DVD again.

Was the piano on The Civil War an upright? I tried to tell, but wasn't sure if it was an older, slightly battered grand, or an upright. (No word yet from Jacqueline Schwab.)

http://www.beladmedia.com/js.jpg

Screen shot from DVD showing recording session.

Thanks for the picture. Is there much about the music on the DVD? Interviews with players, etc?

Not a great deal but some. It's more about the use of music in the film and how it came about. The best extra feature is the section about mastering the 12 year old film and sound track to DVD/5.1.

Go Back to forum