• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Autumn Concerto" - by Skysaw

Share/Bookmark

"Autumn Concerto" - by Skysaw

Jamie has submited a new original work called "Autumn Concerto".

This is the first movement of his concerto for piano and orchestra. Movements 2 and 3 are in progress.

Here's the link:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/jk-autumn_concerto.mp3

I really like this style of minimalistic impressionism - Reich/Glass and Debussy.

Thanks Jamie for sharing this with us. Looking forward to hearing the next movements.

Gary Garritan

Re: "Autumn Concerto" - by Skysaw

Jamie! Fine work, indeed!

I'm particularly fond of works that say what they have to say without resorting to thousands of superfluous notes and gratuitous effects. Simply put, Jamie, economy of means is one of the surest roads to clarity... which you've achieved, admirably.

From a compositional standpoint, the one area I might look at is the transition around ~2:00. Only a suggestion, but to me that seems to ask for a bit more attention.

Technically, some of the woodwind writing is particularly interesting; very subtle with highly effective use of the repetitive motif. The writing for the piano -- first rate; and there are some truly ingenious techniques in the orchestration, all the more effective for their lucid simplicity.

I've listened to this a number of times, and I *very* much look forward to hearing the rest of this wonderful piece, Jamie! There's much in this first movement that foreshadows a strong and interesting development.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wonderful!

I thought I heard remnants of Mahler..

….

The rhythmic bass winds creates a terrific momentum: like a heartbeat for the other elements to flow from.

Great work indeed!

jeff

Thumbs up Re: "Autumn Concerto" - by Skysaw

Never fails. Every time I start to listen to someone's demo Mozart starts playing on the PA system during class change.
    Now, to Jamie's piece.
    Ah, nice! Love the structure; the woodwinds are very sweetly balanced! Ah yeah! Love the harp Jamie!! The strings, beautiful! Wow, superbly arranged. And the piano is just perfect! I agree totally with Gary's evaluation of style.
    This is great! Bravo Jamie!!!!
    Man, Jamie you continue to grow and shine in your work!
    Five Stars!
    Styxx

Thank you all for your kinds words. I'm very happy with how this piece is shaping up. The second movement is very nearly complete, and I should be able to share it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I really like this style of minimalistic impressionism - Reich/Glass and Debussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    I thought I heard remnants of Mahler.
    All composers I highly respect, so thank you for the comparisons. No direct homages intended, but these things come out. I thought perhaps a little Prokofiev might have sneaked in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    economy of means is one of the surest roads to clarity... which you've achieved, admirably.
    there are some truly ingenious techniques in the orchestration, all the more effective for their lucid simplicity.
    I'm very humbled by your comments. Economy of means is a subject near and dear to my heart, but often quite difficult for me to achieve. I've always tried to fight the urge to "pile it on," but it's taken me quite a number of years to figure out how to pare it down to only the essential elements. It's fascinating to compare earlier and later works of Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Shostakovich to see how lines become simpler, and textures more refined and clear as they progress through the years.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Very nice use of minimalist texture while maintaining a sense of direction. You do a lot with color, so the ideas/motives really have take on new meanings and characters.

As to the title - is it a piano concerto? Concerto Grosso? There are so many solo parts that the "concerto for orchestra" comes to mind. Whatever you call it, this is a beautiful work. Congratulations!

R. Pearl

Simply outstanding! I really enjoyed every moment of this piece.

Kind Regards

LouisD

this thread deserves more attention...i really really enjoyed this...this is pretty much exactly what i was hoping for when i saw "autumn"...excellent writing...we must hear the other movements when finished

-josh

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    As to the title - is it a piano concerto? Concerto Grosso? There are so many solo parts that the "concerto for orchestra" comes to mind.
    It's a piano concerto, though I do like to keep everyone busy!

I suppose the piano is not as prominant as in some traditional concertos, but it is certainly the focal point of the piece, and has the most intricate writing. It will especially shine in the third movement.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    this thread deserves more attention...i really really enjoyed this...this is pretty much exactly what i was hoping for when i saw "autumn"...excellent writing...we must hear the other movements when finished
    Thank you, Josh. The second movement is 99% complete. I'm just in that "listen-to-it-100-times-before-you-post" mode.

Actually, I think I'm up to a couple hundred for the first movement now, and already have adjustments made that aren't represented in the posted file.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast