• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fanfare and Processional (Read)

Share/Bookmark

Fanfare and Processional (Read)

Okay, it worked!. Here are another couple of files. One for the Fanfare and one for the Processional. I struggled a bit with getting the percussion to sound half decent and got about half way to half way, I think (Not GPO's fault, it is something about the way I had the HP playback working in Finale - it is going to take time to figure out all the nuances of Finale's playback system).

This is music scored for brass choir and percussion (2 trpts, 2 hns, 2 tbns, tuba, snare, sus cym and BD). Whe it was performed live the brass were all doubled. Commissioned work from about 1991. I think the brass qualities are okay, but I'm interested in tips on eq and so on to help the brass sounds a little. Hope you enjoy!

Paul

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/fanfare.mp3
    http://www.paulread.ca/songs/processional.mp3
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Fanfare and Processional (Read)

Well done, Paul! Some genuinely first-rate brass writing in both the fanfare and the processional; and compositionally very strong, as well.

I can't comment on the mix technicals particularly (I'm one of the forum's long-standing technical idiots... lol); other than to say it sounded quite good to me, on the overall.

Writing this well and clearly for brass takes quite a bit of skill, Paul. Great job on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thank you David. I appreciate the kind and complimentary remarks. I have been listening to your music (both here and on your site) and greatly admire what you do. Hence, compliments coming from you mean a great deal, indeed. I am going to work the mix on both the percussion in both of these little pieces to see if I can get it more in balance. But it will take some more experience with Finale and may utlimately mean I have to play this stuff into DP. (I thought I might do that anyway). Thanks again!
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well done, Paul! Some genuinely first-rate brass writing in both the fanfare and the processional; and compositionally very strong, as well.

I can't comment on the mix technicals particularly (I'm one of the forum's long-standing technical idiots... lol); other than to say it sounded quite good to me, on the overall.

Writing this well and clearly for brass takes quite a bit of skill, Paul. Great job on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Great arrangement!

I really enjoyed "Fanfare" A nice blend of old and new... A work that could easily translate to many genres.

Jeff

Thumbs up Re: Fanfare and Processional (Read)

Paul,
    I found both quite remarkably well written. Love the brass and didn't find anything wrong with your percussion work. As a percussionist, this would be a pretty cool piece to perform!
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Fanfare and Processional (Read)

Excellent works.
    Tell me more about you, are you writing for fun, or it's your (or one of your) job?

Really nice work! Those would be an absolute kick to hear live! Very enjoyable!

Hi Fabio
    Thanks for the message. I write professionally now and again, but always for fun (well most of the time it is fun). Actually to paraphrase a familiar quote, I hate writing, but I love having written. (Who said that, does anyone remember?)

Like many musicians I do a lot of different things, and composing and arranging is one of them. I teach in a university music department, play the piano and saxophone. I play and write jazz mostly, but I compose and arrange in a wide array of idioms. Like many who I see as regular contributors to the forums here, I have an interest in a lot of different kinds of music and just write wherever my heart (or a commission) takes me. Thanks for your complimentary remarks. I'm having no end of fun listening to the music on the forums and reading the various postings. There are very talented and knowledgeable people here!!! I have just listened to your PANIS ANGELICUS and was mightily impressed. That's you singing all the parts? WOW.
    Thanks again.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Excellent works.
    Tell me more about you, are you writing for fun, or it's your (or one of your) job?

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi Fabio
    Thanks for the message. I write professionally now and again, but always for fun (well most of the time it is fun). Actually to paraphrase a familiar quote, I hate writing, but I love having written. (Who said that, does anyone remember?)
    Hi, Paul...

I am a euphonium player. While I LOVE these pieces, I lament the absence of the finest of the brass in these otherwise superb works.

I'd like to perhaps program these with the Indianapolis Brass Choir next season. May I contact you offline to make arrangements?

It's so neat to hear all the stuff that's going on here--I have already gotten a great work from Donnie Sorah that I'm gonna do with my brass quintet next year.

Regards, Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Hi, Paul...

I am a euphonium player. While I LOVE these pieces, I lament the absence of the finest of the brass in these otherwise superb works.

I'd like to perhaps program these with the Indianapolis Brass Choir next season. May I contact you offline to make arrangements?

It's so neat to hear all the stuff that's going on here--I have already gotten a great work from Donnie Sorah that I'm gonna do with my brass quintet next year.

Regards, Jim W.
    Thanks for the note, Jim. I will send a private message with contact info. Thanks for the interest!
    Paul

Go Back to forum