• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-pitching unpitched percussion

Share/Bookmark

Re-pitching unpitched percussion

I want three sizes of suspended cymbal and three sizes of bass drum and two sizes of side drum. If I can't find a suitable library is there a way I can create them in gigastudio.

In the editor I can stretch pitched instruments up and down where the range is not wide enough but is there a way of editing the suspended cymbal sample from VSL to make it sound bigger (lower pitched) and smaller (higher pitched) and likewise for any unpitched percussion?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Re: Re-pitching unpitched percussion

I'll start with a bit of a kludge, but it should work and be fairly easy to do. Open the instrument in the Giga editor and try the following.

Let's say you have a cymbal that is mapped to middle C. Click and drag that region to the right one half-step, so that it now rests on C# (assuming this region was empty before you moved the middle C region). Then save the instrument to a new GIG file and load it up. I think you'll hear it pitched up one half-step when you hit the C# note on your MIDI controller. So if you move it a whole step up, you'll hear it pitched up a whole step. And so on. This behavior is one of the things that makes editing in Giga not as easy as it perhaps could be, but in this case you may be able to take advantage of it.

Alternately, you can edit the Region properties and choose a transpose offset. This should push the pitch up/down according to your choice.

Yet another approach would be to export the given samples from Giga, pitch them up/down manually using a Wave editor, and then reimport them as new files back into the Editor. Add them to your instrument as new regions, and you should be good to go.

Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    I'll start with a bit of a kludge, but it should work and be fairly easy to do. Open the instrument in the Giga editor and try the following.

Let's say you have a cymbal that is mapped to middle C. Click and drag that region to the right one half-step, so that it now rests on C# (assuming this region was empty before you moved the middle C region). Then save the instrument to a new GIG file and load it up. I think you'll hear it pitched up one half-step when you hit the C# note on your MIDI controller. So if you move it a whole step up, you'll hear it pitched up a whole step. And so on. This behavior is one of the things that makes editing in Giga not as easy as it perhaps could be, but in this case you may be able to take advantage of it.

Alternately, you can edit the Region properties and choose a transpose offset. This should push the pitch up/down according to your choice.

Yet another approach would be to export the given samples from Giga, pitch them up/down manually using a Wave editor, and then reimport them as new files back into the Editor. Add them to your instrument as new regions, and you should be good to go.

Or, if you prefer not to drag regions around, then click on unity not in the sample properties window (making sure you have only that region selected-if you have all you'll transpose the whole instrument!), then either manually enter the desired UN in that field, or drag the blue ball on the region itself to choose your setting. The difference between the chosen unity note and the midi note that the sample is mapped to will determine pitch offset. Much like ALewis's method, only region remains in original place.

Belbin

Thanks Andrew & Belbin - I shall experiment with your ideas in due course. Unfortunately I wiped my hard drive at the weekend following a windows corruption which I'm convinced was caused by GS - ye gods sometimes I hate computers.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Belbin's method is better, I think. I'll try it his way the next time I need to deal with this. I had an issue with Purrrfect Drums not fitting comfortably on my old Alesis QS-6, so I remapped quite a few instruments in the GS2.x editor. It took me awhile but was SO worth it!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum