• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Percussion Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Percussion Libraries

I'm looking for a lib which has different sized loose cymbals (at least three sizes) rolled and struck and different sized bass drums (again three would be nice) and side drum and tenor drum both with and without snares all rolled and struck etc. With GS3.

Any recommendations?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Re: Percussion Libraries

London Orchestral Percussion should fulfill all those requirements. Might even be pretty cheap by now too.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I like LOP a lot too.

LOP looks the ticket but I note it is recorded with concert hall ambience.

Any libs recorded dry like VSL.

VSL pro percussion is too expensive and they don't seem to have the variety of cymbals and bass drums I want.

Thanks so far.

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

What about Project SAM TrueStrike?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiotic
    What about Project SAM TrueStrike?
    again recorded with hall ambience and only two sizes of sus cymbal and one bass drum although they have a field drum without snares which might have worked.

anymore for anymore?

www.davetubaking.com

With LOP I don't see ambience as an issue. It's an older library, recorded before SAM and Quantum Leap made recorded ambience an outright feature. I've never noticed it on LOP to be perfectly honest. I mix it with a range of different libs with no problems whatever.

Smile Re: Percussion Libraries

Hi David,

Check out Sonic Implants Symphonic Percussion Collection. It doesnt have 3 Bass Drums but other than that might be ritght up your alley.

In any case, good luck in your quest!

Best Regards
    Al J.
    Sonic Implants
    http://www.sonicimplants.com

Virtual Drumline 2 has a good deal of what you're looking for in the concert cymbal department. But only one concert bass drum size. It's a Kontakt Player instrument though, not GS3. The other suggestions (SI, LOP, TrueStrike, VSL) are all great products as well. Hopefully you'll find something that fits your needs.
    Jim Casella
    Tapspace

Quote Originally Posted by re-peat
    David,

LOP has hardly any ambience. It's recorded VERY close-up and whatever 'ambience tails' there are, these are nested in separate 'release samples' anyway, the volume of which can easily be reduced or silenced altogether.

LOP doesn't have three different bassdrums either (it has two), but it's got an extensive collection of excellent snares (6 different single drums, 2 snare sets and 1 'snare off' drum) and cymbals (12 different ones), all with extremely useful articulations.

It really is a remarkable library, as a whole even richer in scope and texture than TrueStrike, I believe. The one little thing that stops it from being absolutely perfect, is the slightly abrupt velocity switchings between the various layers of the (otherwise very good) timpani.

I don't own the SI Percussion set and that is undoubtedly killer quality as well, but I do own quite a few other orchestral percussion libraries and, despite its age, LOP firmly remains one of the very best.

_

hmm...do you have the same LOP i have? i find there to be A LOT of ambience on that library, especially on the bass drum and snares. it's like night & day compared with VSL. most of the time it's great, because i want my percussion to sound like it's coming from the back. good luck getting that hall off the samples if you want something up close.

just my 2¢
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum