• Register
  • Help

Topic: Advice desired regarding Apple laptop hard drive upgrade

Share/Bookmark

Advice desired regarding Apple laptop hard drive upgrade

Hello all,

I am considering upgrading the hard drive on my laptop (specs below) through a company called "MacResQ". They offer a 120 Gig Seagate 5400 rpm drive for $309. They send you a shipping box, you send to them via overnight, they "clone" the existing drive, install the new drive, put the "cloned" info onto the new drive, then ship the laptop back...all of this in 3 days total.

Questions:

1. Any comments on the service offered by this company? Has anyone had this done by MacResQ or another company?

2. What software authorization issues are likely to arise from the "cloning" process?

Thanks for your advice in this.

THG,
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

12" Aluminum Powerbook, 1 gHz G4, 1.25 gig RAM, OS 10.4.3

Re: Advice desired regarding Apple laptop hard drive upgrade

You would be much better off buying an external firwire 7200 rpm hard drive.

Your machine will be spunkier
    Dan

Re: Advice desired regarding Apple laptop hard drive upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    You would be much better off buying an external firwire 7200 rpm hard drive.

Your machine will be spunkier
    Dan
    Thanks for the reply, Dan. I do have an external drive, my difficulty comes with the diminishing space on my internal hard drive, and the fact that several programs that I like seem to insist on everything being stored on that drive.
    Another mitigating factor to the firewire idea is that I use an M-Audio Firewire 410, which is fairly greedy of the firewire port. Not necessarily of the bandwidth, but it seems to be fairly insistent about its location in the firewire boot chain.
    I'm always learning and very much willing to learn, so if there is more for me to know, please share!

THG,
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

Go Back to forum