• Register
  • Help

Topic: problem with instrument ranges in finale GPO

Share/Bookmark

problem with instrument ranges in finale GPO

Is there any way to extend the ranges of some of the instruments included with Finale 2006?

here are some of my issues:

• in many of the string patches, the ranges do not take harmonics into account, so that notes that are quite within the range of a viola, for example, will not play back if the harmonic is higher than the "normal" range
    • The trombone patch will not allow lower notes that are consistent with a bass trombone
    • Same issue with the organ patch; it will not recognize lower notes that are quite within the ranges of most electronic organs

I'm at an impasse, as I cannot use the GPO sounds to realize several works, particularly for strings, due to the harmonics issue. Suggestions are welcome.

Re: problem with instrument ranges in finale GPO

If you like what you have heard with the bundled Finale GPO and want more, then I would suggest you upgrade to the full GPO.

This is a sincere suggestion, I am not being flippant or sarcastic.

You are correct that string harmonics are not currently possible.

The trombone sample is for a tenor trombone - full GPO includes two bass trombones.

The organ samples are not electronic organs.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thanks---I had a feeling that was in the offing.

One reason why I'm not yet sold on upgrading: how easy is it to use the full version of GPO with Finale 2006? I've also beta tested the just-released 2006a updater, and while I'm pleased overall with the Save as Audio results, there are still occasional dropped notes and other stutters. I have a 1.33 GHz G4 with 1 GB RAM---not the top of the line system, but still no slouch AFAIK.

Thanks.

one more question for clarification: would the full version of GPO support string harmonic ranges or not? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me

There are no string harmonics in GPO Full. They will probably be included in the upcoming GPO Advanced.

And I think it's safe to assume, you get those note dropouts and stutters because your CPU is too slow and/or you don't have enough RAM (definitely not enough for a full symphonic score).

Quote Originally Posted by dtoub
    there are still occasional dropped notes and other stutters. I have a 1.33 GHz G4 with 1 GB RAM---not the top of the line system, but still no slouch AFAIK.
    Those of us on G4's will never get exceptional performance. Max your ram if possible. But the easiest thing you can to to alleviate cpu overload is by reducing your polyphony wherever possible. Have you tried that?

Sometimes you'll be surprised when you get stutters during playback, but in the recorded audio file the stutters are often not there.

Jeff

For the most part, the stutters are rare within the audio file.

I've tried to reduce the polyphony but was not sure if I was doing it correctly using the Kontakt player. Advice?

Thanks!

To reduce polyphony, place the mouse over the polyphony number and drag it downwards. If you use Ambience, you might also reduce its quality/CPU level.

Go Back to forum