• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Books on Audio?

Share/Bookmark

Post Books on Audio?

A recent thread about mastering has made me realize how little I know about audio (recording, mixing, mastering etc).

There are so many books out there, can you recommend some good books about audio for everyone (it doesn't matter the level). Please say what level (beginner etc.) the book is at if it is not obvious from the title.

Thanks!

Christiaan

Re: Books on Audio?

Quote Originally Posted by brilohead
    A recent thread about mastering has made me realize how little I know about audio (recording, mixing, mastering etc).

There are so many books out there, can you recommend some good books about audio for everyone (it doesn't matter the level). Please say what level (beginner etc.) the book is at if it is not obvious from the title.
    "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz would be at the top of my list. I would rate it intermediate to advanced. Plenty in there fir everyone.
    JP

I strongly recommend Bob Katz book :
    "Mastering Audio : The Art and the Science"
    Bob Katz is a well known recording and mastering engineer.
    (He is the recording engineer of some great Chesky records, with stellar sound quality)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It's not really a "practical" guide, but it gives really very very good view of (pre)mastering, and also great insight on recording and mixing.
    Wide overview of the audio production chain, with some good critics of today trends (and deviance).

hey, I've been overtaken...

Mastering Audio is excellent so one more vote for that. Bobby Owsinski's The Mixing Engineer's Handbook is a good book about mixing. Mixing and mastering aren't the easiest subjects to write about but those two do a fine job in it. Of course you have to do a lot of work to actually learn anything about audio, but these books can help a lot.

also the book of

"modern recording techniques" 6th edition by huber and rubstein is a very good start

very good overview of everything

www.kiqproductions.com

Total Recording by Dave Moulton.

Disclaimer: I edited it. But it's frikking great in spite of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb
    also the book of

"modern recording techniques" 6th edition by huber and rubstein is a very good start

very good overview of everything
    I can recommend that one too

www.modrec.com

Anything by Paul White from Sound on Sound magazine is also a good starting point. Check out his workshops here:

http://www.amgard.net/PWWrkShops.htm

mts

Go Back to forum