• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Looking at a Mac and DP.

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Question Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Yous youts that use a Mac and Digital Performer for your recording needs I sure could use your advice. What should I look for in a Mac to successfully and safely run all my audio recording and midi needs? I will use it solely for music production and nothing else! The plan is to keep my current PC for internet and office use. I will not be purchasing until January so I have some time.
    Any suggestions from you big Mac users I appreciate your comments, thoughts, and concerns.
    Styxx

  2. #2

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Hi
    I am using Finale 2006 and DP 4.6 on a Power Mac G5 Dual processors (a must) running at 2 Ghz (you could go to 2.5 if your $ allows). I have 1 Gb of DDR SDRAM and while I should have more for heavy duty work, all is cool so far. It isn't too expensive so I'd recommend getting as much SDRAM as your $ allow.

    In addition, as a result of reading Brian Munroney's tutorial at http://www.garritan.com/DP_GPO_tut.html, I checked out Altiverb from AudioEase. It is quite beautiful sounding and adds enormously to the quality of audio (I've only used the demo so far, but have ordered the full version). Regretably it is expensive...but I decided to bite the bullet and am looking forward to its arrival.

    Hope all this helps.

    Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yous youts that use a Mac and Digital Performer for your recording needs I sure could use your advice. What should I look for in a Mac to successfully and safely run all my audio recording and midi needs? I will use it solely for music production and nothing else! The plan is to keep my current PC for internet and office use. I will not be purchasing until January so I have some time.
    Any suggestions from you big Mac users I appreciate your comments, thoughts, and concerns.

  3. #3

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Sorry, forgot to mention that so far I am using built in audio only. In my previous Mac (a G4) I used a third party audio card (MiaMidi) with good results but it was not compatible with the new G5 slots. So far, I have not needed to use an external card, but I have not done any live recording since buying my current system. Just midi and internal audio only.

    Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi
    I am using Finale 2006 and DP 4.6 on a Power Mac G5 Dual processors (a must) running at 2 Ghz (you could go to 2.5 if your $ allows). I have 1 Gb of DDR SDRAM and while I should have more for heavy duty work, all is cool so far. It isn't too expensive so I'd recommend getting as much SDRAM as your $ allow.

    In addition, as a result of reading Brian Munroney's tutorial at http://www.garritan.com/DP_GPO_tut.html, I checked out Altiverb from AudioEase. It is quite beautiful sounding and adds enormously to the quality of audio (I've only used the demo so far, but have ordered the full version). Regretably it is expensive...but I decided to bite the bullet and am looking forward to its arrival.

    Hope all this helps.

    Paul

  4. #4
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Hey thanks Paul and Welcome to the forum!
    I've had nothing but problems with a PC that has all the potential but for some reason proved to be very temperamental concerning music production. It didn't help to use the same system for Internet either probably. After a very agitating year of upgrades in sound card, memory, speed and other, I've decided to go the route of a Power Mac. I like what DP has to offer.
    Thanks for the informative info and again, nice to have you aboard!
    Styxx

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ (sort of...)
    Posts
    62

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    just my 2 cents, but I use a Mac Mini with a Presonus Firepod. The Firepod is a thing of beauty, although it cost a bit of money. I would say that if/when you want better audio in/out think about a firewire interface. There are some cheaper ones out there.
    Nigam Shah

    American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

  6. #6

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    I switched from PC to Mac for the same reasons and I will never go back. So far, I have had no crashes, and I've been running it for about a year now. (Same set up as Paul - minus Finale, +3Gbs ram - I can take 8 ) It seemed that when I was looking to upgrade the PC to handle the workflow, I was looking at the same cost as a Mac and so I jumped. My husband got the gov't discount through the Apple site, though, so that saved us a little there. Aren't you teaching right now? I think the same discount applies to you. Check the Apple site for the educational institution discounts.

    I was using Cubase SX before which was great, but I just couldn't take the PC crashes. I love DP and have had no problems with the change over. I'm using the Motu 828 audio interface through Firewire.

    I know they are working on more stable systems and eventually they will catch up to Mac.

    ~Paula
    Last edited by Drumroll; 11-01-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Add info
    Cheers!
    Paula

    Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

  7. #7

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    I have only used DP (Since about V2) I think it is an excellent choice. I have tried Logic and didn't like it. Excellent program, just a personal preference issue. When I upgraded at the year's beginning to a G5 and DP4+ I had some setup issues - both hardware and software. It took a couple months to really smooth everything out, but since then I have had a 100% solid system. Read again - NEVER CRASHES! The G5 (Dual 2ghz) is fast and 4.5gb of RAM is plenty for me. DP integrates well with so much - K2, Absynth, Reason, Trilogy, Waves, Firewire video out, physical controllers, etc. It really feels like like one unit, not several pieces. The new feature in DP are great for scoring to picture...mark hits, find tempo, etc. Polar is great for building ideas.

    The future change in processor causes me a little concern as to what the support will be for "older" processors and there seems to be some conflicting reports as to how and when this will affect us audio/video people. I'm sure it will all get worked out around the last possible minute.

    I'm sure you will be abundantly happy when you make the switch.

    Derek

  8. #8

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Hi there Mr Styxx!
    I bought a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz machine in June of this year. I am running MOTU's latest version of dp 4.6 and it is incredible!

    www.audioease.com maker of Altiverb is incredible! That's what I use.
    Check out the demo

    Mike, know this! You can set up a free www.skype.com account (free long distance internet phone) I will walk you through the entire install of DP. It takes all of 5 minutes to do if I recall.

    You can call me anytime day or night with any question and I will tell you to take a flyin' leap,..... no scratch that,, I mean I will help you out because you're not heavy you're my brotha.

    Anyway, another awesome thing is that we can share projects on the same platform, that is awesome.
    I think I remember that you recently purchased a Presonus Firewire Firepod. That should work great with DP as the audio interface.

    I use DP on the Mac and all my sounds stream from a PC and it works great, but I do understand your frustrations. Neither platform is free of frustration, but The Mac is indeed a wonderful piece of equipment and is a tremendous pleasure to work with.

    As far as the newer Mac having that "Intel Inside".... you can bet technology will continue to change, but I could not sit arround and wait to see what is going to happen, life is passing by as we speak. I am so happy with the Mac platform as my main DAW, can you tell?

    This would be so awesome for you Mike.
    dpDan

  9. #9
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    Quote Originally Posted by nigamshah
    just my 2 cents, but I use a Mac Mini with a Presonus Firepod. The Firepod is a thing of beauty, although it cost a bit of money. I would say that if/when you want better audio in/out think about a firewire interface. There are some cheaper ones out there.
    Thanks, I purchased a FirePod a bit ago and recently had the multi-device driver update installed as well. I concur it is a great piece of equipment and the mic preamps sound nice!
    Yes, the Mac will be my next big purchase but not until January. Eh, whataya gonna do?
    Styxx

  10. #10
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Thumbs up Re: Looking at a Mac and DP.

    DPDAN , 'ol buddy! I'm really looking forward to it! We be ready hopefully near the end of January. Yup, the FirePod has been great so far, (Knock on plastic.)
    Styxx

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •