• Register
  • Help

Topic: (OT) Pool : Do you run successfully the ‘sleep’ function ?

Share/Bookmark

(OT) Pool : Do you run successfully the ‘sleep’ function ?

I mean the function under Windows which shuts down everything except the RAM (wake up only with the power button), so we don’t have to reload XP and all our softs (and samples...) each time we start the computer, it’s ‘ready to work’ instantly (theoretically...).

Personally it failed with my RME 9652 and Nuendo + GS3 (in Rewire). A driver problem, I guess. (The RME, which shuts down too, probably needs a reloading after tension...)

(I wonder if FX Teleport users don’t have that driver problem. Another possible big advantage of FX Teleport...)

Does any one use with success on its DAW the sleep function ?

Re: (OT) Pool : Do you run successfully the sleep function ?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    I mean the function under Windows which shuts down everything except the RAM (wake up only with the power button), so we dont have to reload XP and all our softs (and samples...) each time we start the computer, its ready to work instantly (theoretically...).
    Don't know about Windows, I'm a Mac user and I can tell you its definitely considered a no no to use the sleep function with a DAW on Mac.
    JP

My own personal preference is to shut down when I'm done for the day. That way I know that temporary files that have been accumulating on my hard drive are closed and deleted. I just automatically turn it on in the morning and do other things while it's doing its start-up thing.

Re: (OT) Pool : Do you run successfully the ‘sleep’ function ?

So... Well...

I have to conclude that no one uses the sleep function around here.

So, there’s only one thing left to do : going to sleep myself...

My Powerbook sleeps just fine, but I rarely do that with Logic open. Firewire interface wakes up just fine though.

Banned

doesn't work with my pc-laptop. after reactivating it, most of times it doesn't see usb-connections, and never sees the card which connects to my rme-audio-device. - to make everything fully work, i have to turn it down and turn it on again.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It's normally not recommended on PCs as well. I accidentally forgot to turn it off on one, and had similar problems with drivers all hooking back up. It's not something that one should use on a PC that needs realtime capabilities.

I don't run it either...
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Re: (OT) Pool : Do you run successfully the ‘sleep’ function ?

So... then, only one positive testimony here, under Mac (OS X, I presume) with a firewire interface.

Considering that I have absolutely no success on the Nuendo forum, I suppose that developers don’t even feel concerned by that...

Too bad.

Go Back to forum