• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need advice re old Finale files

Share/Bookmark

Need advice re old Finale files

I have several pieces that I want to render using GPO that were written many years ago (late 1980s and early 90s) and many versions of Finale ago. They open just fine in Finale 2006 but there have been some problems with GPO's reacting to dynamics and articulations in these older files. In one case I loaded new libraries and as soon as I inserted a new dynamic marking from the newer library, Finale bombed. I have experimented a bit, and found a few work arounds, but I find myself guessing. I wonder if anyone else out there might have experience in dealing with older Finale files (very old) and know the most efficient way of bringing them up to date so that they play properly. For example: does it make sense to do some sort of global font substitution replacing Petrucci with Maestro?
    All that said I must say it is impressive to me that Finale 2006 does such a great job in dealing with 15 year-old files!
    Thanks
    Paul

Re: Need advice re old Finale files

Please disregard this. I reposted it on the Finale forum and got a good reply on this over there. Thanks again.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    I have several pieces that I want to render using GPO that were written many years ago (late 1980s and early 90s) and many versions of Finale ago. They open just fine in Finale 2006 but there have been some problems with GPO's reacting to dynamics and articulations in these older files. In one case I loaded new libraries and as soon as I inserted a new dynamic marking from the newer library, Finale bombed. I have experimented a bit, and found a few work arounds, but I find myself guessing. I wonder if anyone else out there might have experience in dealing with older Finale files (very old) and know the most efficient way of bringing them up to date so that they play properly. For example: does it make sense to do some sort of global font substitution replacing Petrucci with Maestro?
    All that said I must say it is impressive to me that Finale 2006 does such a great job in dealing with 15 year-old files!
    Thanks
    Paul

Go Back to forum