Topic: Getting started in sound design

Share/Bookmark

Getting started in sound design

Hi guys,
    I have been primarily concentrating on composing for games and
    film, but, have noticed that there is an awful lot of work in sound
    design in games, film and multi-media. I have done some sound design in
    the course of film composition including recording a metal bridge and
    creating a sound bank for a film I worked on.

I want to know where I can start with both building my sounds (which I
    will post along with my music tracks) and finding work in sound design.

I am reading Aaron Marks book on Game Audio and will be joining GANG
    when I can afford it. I am on a few game audio and sound design newsletters and
    am learning a lot. I am also playing more games and keeping my ears peeled.

I know that sounddogs and other libraries provide a big bulk of sounds, so, I am thinking
    that I will take the same tactic I am starting to take with my composing and focus on what
    makes me unique. I think if I can create sounds that are unique and one of a kind.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Keith Kehrer
    Kamakaze Music

Re: Getting started in sound design

Quote Originally Posted by djkamakaze
    Hi guys,
    I want to know where I can start with both building my sounds (which I
    will post along with my music tracks) and finding work in sound design.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
    I'd suggest getting a microphone such as a Rode NT3 which has it's own internal power 9V battery. Getting a minidisc or something like an iRiver HP140/120 to record with.

Start recording your own sounds to use as elements in creating new ones.

Get familiar with software like SoundForge or Adobe Audition and understand how to manipulate samples, create loop points..etc

Really, there is no one way to start sound design, either you do or you don't do it. It's pretty much a self taught art from someone who just enjoys making sound.

One thing to do is get hold of game footage from say a trailer or whatever, strip the sound out and try to re-create what you think the sound should be like. Once you complete it, listen to the original and yours and make notes where you feel you have failed or succeeded. Learn from your mistakes and successes.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Hey there,
    <K>Thanks for your response

I'd suggest getting a microphone such as a Rode NT3 which has it's own internal power 9V battery. Getting a minidisc or something like an iRiver HP140/120 to record with.

<K>I have an NT1 but not NT3. I have a minidisc and a T Mic for it. I will probably eventually upgrade it. I have gotten some good recordings with it. I record a metal bridge with hands and mallets for a musical score I wrote for a film using that little recorder.

Start recording your own sounds to use as elements in creating new ones.

<K>I have been doing that for a while

Get familiar with software like SoundForge or Adobe Audition and understand how to manipulate samples, create loop points..etc

<K>I use Peak on my mac as well as Cubase.

Really, there is no one way to start sound design, either you do or you don't do it. It's pretty much a self taught art from someone who just enjoys making sound.

<K>I guess you are right .I have been manipulating sound for music for years.

One thing to do is get hold of game footage from say a trailer or whatever, strip the sound out and try to re-create what you think the sound should be like. Once you complete it, listen to the original and yours and make notes where you feel you have failed or succeeded. Learn from your mistakes and successes.

<K>I need to do that. Some other people have suggested that.

Thanks for the feed back.

Keith Kehrer
    Kamakaze Music

stupid question from a stuopid noob:

what's GANG?

care to enlighten me?

http://www.audiogang.org

Game Audio Network Guild.

aaahhh, i see... very interesting. another step on my way to enlightenment in all things game audio. i'll check this out immediately!

thanks a bunch!

Go Back to forum