• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which CPU for Audio Applications

Share/Bookmark

Which CPU for Audio Applications

I'm going to be upgrading my computer (only keeping the soundcard and audio HD) within the next couple of weeks and I'm wondering what's the best cpu for audio applications within the $300-400 price range.

Intel has "encrypted" their cpu classifications in such a way that it's impossible to compare them to each other let alone AMD processors. So I hope someone can help steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Brian

Re: Which CPU for Audio Applications

For $260 you can get an Athlon 64 3700+ with 1 MB cache and SSE2/3 support (San Diego). It runs at 2.2 GHz.

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_...PUX_AK64_93_70

For about $100 more you can get the 2.4 GHz 4000+ San Diego cpu.

For comparison, I have an older 3000+ (1.8 MHz Winchester, 512k cache) and can run up to five instances of GigaPulse.

If you run multiple hungry programs, consider dual core. Otherwise the single core is the way to go.

The performance of AMD is solid, and their CPUs run cooler than Intel's, so you can build a cooler, quieter machine. That's important if your PC is in the same room as your ears.

Happy shopping.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    If you run multiple hungry programs, consider dual core. Otherwise the single core is the way to go.

The performance of AMD is solid, and their CPUs run cooler than Intel's, so you can build a cooler, quieter machine. That's important if your PC is in the same room as your ears.

Happy shopping.

-JF
    Thanks for the suggestions, Jon.

Having a reasonably quiet machine is pretty important, so that's one for AMD.

Would multiple VST instruments be able to take advantage of a dual-core processor?

another vote for AMD..

at this point i recommend dual core as the price point is so close.
    a X2 3800 is only a hair more than a 3700.

even the intel dual cores rock, but amd is faster

Scott
    ADK

I was always told amd ran hotter than intel
    ASUS P4C800-E motherboard, pentium4 3.2 ghz, 2gigs ram, ATI X1600pro, RME hdsp9632, 120gig maxtor system drive, 250gig SATA150 maxtor audio drive, 250gig SATA150 sample drive, Roland A-37 midi controller keyboard, Cubase 4, Gigastudio3 orchestra, FLstudio5, Reason3, Atmosphere, Ivory, EWQLSO gold xp and choirs

Just curious what chipset those of you running AMD's have? Especially for SATA raid...I'm currently running an Athlon XP 2500 on a via KT880 chipset with RAID, an upgrade from an NFORCE 2 board that didn't have SATA. I bought that board because the specs showed the SATA controller running off the PCI bus but I still get very minor noise when playing large samples like Akoustik Piano...the problem is mainly through the Kontakt engine. I get very few if any glitches through GS3 but still not flawless performance. I love AMD and would like to upgrade to 64 or X2 but am worried about sample streaming performance on their supported chipsets. Does Intel have the best setup in that arena? Sorry for the thread hijack but hopefully the info will benifit us both.

Cheers!
    Edward W. Trevino
    Dandlewood Productions
    www.dandlewood.com

Go Back to forum