• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kurzweil 2500 vs. Art Vista's VGP

Share/Bookmark

Kurzweil 2500 vs. Art Vista's VGP

How do the piano sounds from a Kurzweil 2500 compare to the piano sounds from Art Vista's VGP?

(I have the VGP and am enjoying recording with it, but the local recording studio has a Kurzweil 2500 and tells me that it is "the best." I don't know enough to make an informed decision. Either way, I'm not planning on spending $45 per hour to go record on the Kurzweil when I can use the VGP at my house, but I am curious now.)

While I'm posting, I'd also add that I am experiencing very faint pops and clicks, randomly, when I play. I'm very new to all this and have never done anything like it before. When I first started I didn't even hear them but about the third day I said to myself, "Oh! That's what they're talking about!" Very subtle. Can anyone recommend a primer on how I go about exorcising these little buggers? (I know you can't detail it all in a thread, but perhaps send me to a web site or another thread?)

Thanks,

Sam

Re: Kurzweil 2500 vs. Art Vista's VGP

Quote Originally Posted by samhoff
    How do the piano sounds from a Kurzweil 2500 compare to the piano sounds from Art Vista's VGP?

(I have the VGP and am enjoying recording with it, but the local recording studio has a Kurzweil 2500 and tells me that it is "the best." I don't know enough to make an informed decision. Either way, I'm not planning on spending $45 per hour to go record on the Kurzweil when I can use the VGP at my house, but I am curious now.)

Sam
    There is no "the best" piano samples. The best pipano samples are the one that YOU feel suits your music best. If you like VGP, use it!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    There is no "the best" piano samples. The best pipano samples are the one that YOU feel suits your music best. If you like VGP, use it!
    Oh, drat, I should have anticipated that response! It was what I ran into endlessly when I was trying to decide what piano sounds to buy for my computer at home, before I finally settled on the VGP.

So, perhaps I will phrase it another way: Is there anyone out there who has heard the piano sounds on both the VGP and the Kurzweil 2500 who can comment on which of the two sounded best to their ears? No pressure here; this is simply a curiosity question on my part! And while you're at it comments on pops and clicks would be appreciated!

Sam

I personally prefer VGP

VGP is in a class by itself. K2500 is pretty much kind of a standard piano sound that get's played on a lot of things. I would stick to VGP.

And, in order to get rid of the pops and clicks I'd need to know what kind of computer you have, how much ram being used and your audio card and it's latency setting.

Usually if your computer is powerful enough and you have enough ram, clicks can be gotten rid of by increasing the buffer size of your audio card. But if your computer isn't up to it then you may be in trouble as you'd have to increase the buffer size too much and you would introduce noticable latency.

Ars

I have a K2500 with all the soundblocks in it, and a K250 piano from 1984; I also have Ivory, Post Bos, and VGP (and others in various libs, but those are the best).

To me the latter three are at one level, followed by the K250, followed by the two in the K2500 - one of which uses the same recordings are the K250.

The K2500 piano is very good, but I suspect that those people are selling their studio.

K2500 stock piano? Art Vista is better. No contest.
    K2500 piano expansion board. Art Vista is better. No contest.

Did the studio even bother to mention which K2500 piano they were talking about? (There is a BIG difference between the two).

Is the studio running Art Vista, and has made a comparison?

Good grief!

Re: pops and clicks. Have you optimized your system for audio?

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Another voice of agreement. I have k2500 and K2600 and art vista, and the pianos are pretty good in the kurzweil, but the art vista are better, with far more options that I haven't even explored. This is assuming you have the computer power to run kompakt/kontakt.

I suspect that the owners of the studio have probably never heard VGP or played it!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I own a kurzweil and love it, on stage it is great, the other day I brought in the studio and compared it to my sampled pianos, old lady and a couple of other and couldnt believe how much better they sound, if anyone tells you the kurzweil sounds better they havent tried any of the better sampled pianos and if they have look for another studio because they are deaf

Go Back to forum