• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free Numerical Sound Pure Space RI

Share/Bookmark

Free Numerical Sound Pure Space RI

In the November 2005 Issue of Sound On Sound the accompanying DVD Disc contains a free reverberation impulse from the acclaimed "Pure Space Classical & Mysical RI" collection. More information on this product can be found at http://www.numericalsound.com/purespace.html

For users at this site who are unaware of this product. In the April 2005 Issue of Sound On Sound Martin Walker in a review writes:

#########

These are amoung the cleanest and the most silky-smooth reverbs I've ever heard, with none of the grittiness, lumpiness or metallic overtones that characterize many synthesised reverbs. There are some gorgeous tails in there with oodles of character, and they encompass a huge range of decay 'timbres'.

I tried out these libraries with close -miked solo instruments, vocals and even anechoically-recorded orchestral snippets, and without exception they sounded very natural indeed, There are no small rooms (the smallest space in the Classical series has a two-second tail) but there are chambers, halls, churches, cathedrals, and magical spaces galore.

These are extremely professional libraries containin work created over ten years, ,,,. This is still far cheaper than buying a decent hardware reverb (that still probably won't sound as good), ...

,,, the Pure Space libraries are superb resources for professionals and won't disappoint.

Martin Walker Sound On Sound April 2005

########

Permission was obtained from 12 commercially released Classical Recordings (mostly European Recording Labels) that use the Pure Space RI's to post audio examples from these CD's. The specific reverb impulse used as well as the wet, dry and mixed perspectives are included. These audio examples can be heard at http://www.numericalsound.com/ri_classical.html

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

Re: Free Numerical Sound Pure Space RI

Hello Ernest,

Great to see you back on NS with this very good review!

As you know, I also own a collection of your IR's, and indeed they sound absolutely great!

When I was working on my own Samplicity (see sig) IR Library of a famous hardware box, and compared my IR's to yours, I noted that yours do not start with the typical ER's, that you find so often in both hardware devices and acoustical samples. I have the impression that your excellent IR's are more focused on reverb tails. Was this an intended feature?

I also would like to ask you if you are working on stereo-to-stereo IR's?

With best regards and appreciation for your pristine products,

Hi Peter

The Pure Space RI were designed for maximum ambience or richness. I feel that early reflections are more of a dry component and are like hearing a constant percussive flam. The stereo to stereo IR's as defined by Altiverb model ? The Pure Space RI are stereo - I will likley release a multi-channel RI's product in the future.

Ernest

Hi Ernest,

I had to edit this post a few times before I knew what exactly to ask.

Can we see some sort of track list that compares Pure Space Disc 1 and Disc 2? Without a better sense of what impulses are provided, it's hard to tell which one I should choose. I checked your site and can't seem to find this information.

Basically, "Film & Sacred" vs. "Classical & Mystical" are intriguing but general descriptions. Is one mainly a set of interior impulses, and the other mainly a set of exterior ones?
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest
    In the November 2005 Issue of Sound On Sound the accompanying DVD Disc contains a free reverberation impulse from the acclaimed "Pure Space Classical & Mysical RI" collection. More information on this product can be found at http://www.numericalsound.com/purespace.html
    Ernest, I'm very interested in your IRs. Is this sample available for download anywhere?

Hi Peter
    The Pure Space RI were designed for maximum ambience or richness.
    Which they absolutely deliver!

I feel that early reflections are more of a dry component and are like hearing a constant percussive flam.
    When I use you IR's, I add some ER's with TrueVerb or CakeWalk FX3 to my dry instruments (like DD Woodwinds and Solo Brass).

I have now switched to my own IR's from TCE 6000, which include a lot more ER information, so I can probably change the plugin config in my mixer.

The stereo to stereo IR's as defined by Altiverb model ?
    Yes, the current Numerical Sound IR's require narrowing the input send, as they are mono-to-stereo. I like the additional spaciousness that you get with the stereo-to-stereo (or quad) setup. Of course this doubles the CPU drain...

And: nothing can show off the quality of you IR's more than these beautiful classical production demos!

Cheers,

Peter

Alewis

The reverb impulses on both Pure Space CD's have the same audio quality.
    The Film reverb impulses tend to have more reverberation in the low frequencies (<1000Hz) regardless of the size of the hall which can give a larger than life impression.

The Classical Reverbs tend to have less low frequency reverberation with many impulses that can be used in fast tempo or compositions with fast textural changes.

The Sacred impulses are idea for voices. The Mystical Impulses have a unique signature that is unlike any of the other impulses - they tend to have more low end and mid range reverberation than either the classical of film impulses.

There is a very wide variety in timbre of each RI in the sense that the decay time for all the frequencies is different for all the RI in the Pure Space series - in other word they all sound different.

The Classical CD is probably a good one to start out with. A very significant percentage of people who get one of the Pure Space products ends up buying the second CD within 1-12 months from the initial purchase.

synergy543

At this time there are no places where you can download the Pure Space CD's. If you have Peak 4 or 5
    GigaSampler 3 or TL Space there are some RI's included from Numerical Sound. The Nov. 2005 issue of Sound On Sound includes a Pure Space RI on the DVD as well as containing loads of interesting and useful information. The contents are listed at the following site http://www.soundonsound.com/dvd

Thanks Peter !

Ernest

Go Back to forum