• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ASIO4ALL with Finale 2006

Share/Bookmark

ASIO4ALL with Finale 2006

When I had uneven playback with overture 3.5, i installed asio4all and it fixed it right up. I had to choose asio4all from within overture to make it work, though. How do I choose asio4all from within Finale 2006?

Re: ASIO4ALL with Finale 2006

P.S. I also can't get Finale 2006 to observe any playback dynamics whether I enter them with the expression tool or with the midi tool. My hair is almost all gone! I never had much to start with, though.

Quote Originally Posted by docdestructo62
    P.S. I also can't get Finale 2006 to observe any playback dynamics whether I enter them with the expression tool or with the midi tool. My hair is almost all gone! I never had much to start with, though.
    Do you have Human Playback turned on? Make sure the Human Playback options are enabled correctly. If you set up your score using the setup wizard, and specified which GPO instruments you wanted to load, then everything should be set up automatically. Just using the dynamics that are loaded in the text expression library will playback correctly.

Make sure the Kontakt player is using the standard sustain pedal, and in your HP preferences use "cc68 for best legato". Human playback looks at all of your information in your score. HP looks at the staff name and staff transposition to determine if it should apply mod wheel dynamics or velocity. Make sure everything is labelled, just as would if you're giving the score to a conductor.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Do you have Human Playback turned on? Make sure the Human Playback options are enabled correctly. If you set up your score using the setup wizard, and specified which GPO instruments you wanted to load, then everything should be set up automatically. Just using the dynamics that are loaded in the text expression library will playback correctly.

Make sure the Kontakt player is using the standard sustain pedal, and in your HP preferences use "cc68 for best legato". Human playback looks at all of your information in your score. HP looks at the staff name and staff transposition to determine if it should apply mod wheel dynamics or velocity. Make sure everything is labelled, just as would if you're giving the score to a conductor.

Jeff
    Human playback seems to set up correctly. Still no observation of dynamics, hairpins, etc. BTW, do you know how to select ASIO4ALL from FINALE?

You can only choose which soundcard to use (in MIDI setup). It's not possible to choose the exact driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You can only choose which soundcard to use (in MIDI setup). It's not possible to choose the exact driver.
    In MIDI Set-up I can choose Default MIDI Output Device, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, Smart Music SoftSynth 1-8, or GPO Studio 1-8. Currently it is set on SoftSynth 1. Which should I switch to? In Softsynth settings, I may choose Primary Sound Driver or SoundMax. Which is better?

In MIDI Set-up I can choose Default MIDI Output Device, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, Smart Music SoftSynth 1-8, or GPO Studio 1-8. Currently it is set on SoftSynth 1. Which should I switch to?
    Those are MIDI drivers. I was talking about audio drivers.
    If you want to use GPO as a VST plugin, the MIDI Out settings don't matter. They are being surpassed, when you check "Play Finale through Native Instruments VST".
    If you want to play through GPO Studio, you should of course choose GPO Studio 1-8.
    In Softsynth settings, I may choose Primary Sound Driver or SoundMax. Which is better?
    None. It's the same crappy driver. And I will advice you NOT to use the SmartMusic SoftSynth with this driver. Otherwise you should not be surprised, if you PC slows down considerably or even freezes.

Those are MIDI drivers. I was talking about audio drivers.
    If you want to use GPO as a VST plugin, the MIDI Out settings don't matter. They are being surpassed, when you check "Play Finale through Native Instruments VST".
    If you want to play through GPO Studio, you should of course choose GPO Studio 1-8.
    Does that mean that ASIO4ALL is in use if I've installed it? I don't have to select anything from within the host program?

And I will advice you NOT to use the SmartMusic SoftSynth with this driver. Otherwise you should not be surprised, if you PC slows down considerably or even freezes.
    It seems more even when I select GPO Studio 1. It still limps occasionally but is much better. Is there a better driver I could use with my current sound card?

p.s. I have very much appreciated your help over the last days!

Does that mean that ASIO4ALL is in use if I've installed it? I don't have to select anything from within the host program?
    1: Probably.
    2: Correct.
    It seems more even when I select GPO Studio 1. It still limps occasionally but is much better. Is there a better driver I could use with my current sound card?
    I don't know if there is an updated SoundMax driver, since I uninstalled SoundMax completely.

But you should deselect ALL 8 SoftSynths, to avoid trouble. You can choose NONE or GPO Studio or whatever. Anything but SoftSynth.

For VST output, Finale 2006 is just going to use whatever audio device you have selected in the Windows Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel under the Audio tab. I know nothing about ASIO4ALL, but if it basically acts as a driver that you can select in Windows audio applications, you should be able to select it in that control panel as well. Go to the Windows Start button, then Control Panel, then Sounds and Audio Devices, and click the Audio tab to see if it's an available choice. You'll probably have to restart Finale for it to use the new driver.

Go Back to forum