• Register
  • Help

Topic: Final plan of action!

Share/Bookmark

Final plan of action!

Since my current PC has a mind of it's own and has been nothing but trouble since day one. I've decided after the holidays to purchase a new tower dedicated to music only and absolutely nothing else. NO Paint! No Word! No Stems or Seeds that you don't need! No Photo Shop! No Nude Photos Of Ma Barker! No Norton's! No Spyware! Ad Ware! Underwear! No Barbie Dolls! No Games! No Internet! No FREAKIN AMERICAN ON LINE! Nothing that has been known to screw up your work due to background running! No! Notta! Niche! Done! Damned! Outahere! Trashed!
    I will be contacting several companies that specialize in building PC DAW's (like Sweetwater!)
    My current PC? Well, it be good for all that carp I mentioned above. Gotta stay in touch with me forum buddies ya know!
    Now, to wait for January.
    Any suggestions (besides throwing in the washcloth. Towels are to expensive.) I would greatly appreciate any at all. I wood! Really, eye wood! Wood eye? Yes, I wood! Stop calling me Shirley! Shirley you didn't mean that did you? Yes, yes yes yes!
    Anything at all! Suggestion on places you may have had good luck with PC equipment. Except, Mingia Monaco's Electric Therapy Shop for Sick PC's.
    I need to write music and become more proficient at it like all the rest of you. I have grown very tired of trying to fix what is unfixable. This be me last resolution or I will throw in the dishcloth (cheeper than washcloths) for ever!
    Naw, maybe not but hey, a dollar and a dream! Ya neva know, Moe!
    Styxx

Re: Final plan of action!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    No Stems or Seeds that you don't need!
    Acapulco Gold is...

Well, here's what I do with computers. I realize that folks like Dell are always running a $500 special, but as good as that seems, there's always a dozen little bits of the configuration I need to tweak and it ends up being 4 figures anyway. Plus, the major manufacturers have a habit of installing everything with a "smash disk", i.e. instead of getting separate installation CDs for Windows, your device drivers and all the software you ordered, the smash CDs just reinstall a complete disk image. For those of use who occasionally need to tweak or fix our systems, that's an unacceptable approach.

Instead, I've been dealing with the same "guy down the street" for over a decade. He's a Mom & Pop shop like a million others out there. He knows who I am when I call, and he knows I'll compare the quotes he gives me against the market to make sure that he's in line. With that said, having a personal relationship with a hardware guy is, for me, the only way to go. If I want a P4 3.0 ghz processor with 2 gigs of memory, a specific brand and type of video card, hard drive, or even mother board, I just pick up the phone and go down the laundry list of what I want. If I'm not sure what company is the best for a component I need, I'll tell him what my priorities are and ask for his recommendations. He builds the box, and since he's on the other side of Atlanta, I have him put it on a UPS truck and send it to my door step.

In over ten years, I've had one problem with a new box from him, a mother board that wasn't playing nice. I picked up the phone and told him, drove by & dropped it off, and he had it fixed and ready the next day. In fact, I called him this week because my Mom's box went four paws up. He threw in a couple hundred dollars of stuff she needed for free because she's on a fixed income. "We have to take care of our Moms", he said. This is the power of building relationships.

So how do you find "your guy" in Beefalo? Get the yellow pages and start making calls. Tell people what you want, and pay attention to your gut feeling about how they're treating you on the phone. If they don't want to bother with you, or seem to be intent on giving you the hard sell, hang up and dial the next one. Keep going until you talk to someone who seems like someone you might eventually want to have a beer with. Ask him to fax or email you a quote, and double check the prices to keep him honest. If he's just a little higher, it's worth it to keep him alive for ten years. If he's way out of line, give him a call, explain what you've discovered, and see if he's willing to be flexible on his end in order to build a long term relationship. If he's not, hang up and dial the next one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti - big company. For a lot of people and applications, I think companies like Gateway and Dell are fine. However, for techies and power users (and if you do audio, that's where you are), I find that nothing comes close to the power of making friends with individuals.

Anyway, that's my 17 cents...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Anyway, that's my 17 cents...
    Change due.
    Advice well taken, thanks.
    Styxx

...badass weed! ;-0

Styxx,
    Keep us posted on what you find out...I'm in the same situation to upgrade in about the same time period...and in this area the "mom & pop" option is not a viable one. I've mostly have been looking at Sweetwater based on comments here on the forum.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    ...badass weed! ;-0

Styxx,
    Keep us posted on what you find out...I'm in the same situation to upgrade in about the same time period...and in this area the "mom & pop" option is not a viable one. I've mostly have been looking at Sweetwater based on comments here on the forum.

;-)
    Well, Sweetwater will be one in many I plan to look into. We have a young extremely intelligent talented IT tech here at school that laughs at me every time I ask him for his advice. Also, the people who put together this one have been helpful but all they dabble in is office systems.
    So, first stop Sweetpataterwater. Figure around $1800 and more for a PC based. I would prefer a Mac. We shall see.
    I'm just totally sick of it. Something has to change.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum