• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: How to get that vintage 80s electronica sound?

Share/Bookmark

How to get that vintage 80s electronica sound?

Hey guys,

A friend of mine is looking for VSTs or sample libs that have a vintage 80s electronica sound.. he mentioned V*ngelis (weird, the forum won't let me type it out. the * = a), Tangerine Dream, back in the 80s when those two were hot, and even doing film soundtracks. (he's not so net savvy so I'm searching for him)

I found this:
    http://dashsignature.com/products/eve.htm

For $51, it's definitely affordable. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: How to get that vintage 80s electronica sound?

Well, for the sound of the Greek Dude Who's Name Gets Censored I'd say get Arturia's CS-80V. It was his main axe and you can do some bitchin' cool sounds with it. All Arturia's stuff rawks.

Cool.. i'll check it out. And what about Tangerine's style? E.g., in their Risky Business soundtrack.. they have these highly rhythmic layers going on.. any particular VSTi that can closely emulate that?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Hmmmm- the CS-80 has a small step sequencer that gives that sort of effect. Same with the Modular Moog V- another amazing virtual synth. TD used a lot of modular gear and the Modular Moog V could fit the bill. If you're looking at all for early Human League sounds the Moog is the way to go. They're both a bee-yatch to program, BTW. But they're loaded with great presets.

The Greek mic'ed his synths. Sometimes you hear keys. Mic'ing synths also are responsible for that vintage sound.

There are quite a few vintage synth sounds in Atmosphere as well.

Sam,

Check out Cult Sampler. It's loaded with great 80's type sounds.

All the very best,

Darren

I'll second Arturia's CS-80 and Moog Modular for those 80's sounds. Those were the beasts in action, an Arturia has nailed them down, very, very well.

Eric's recommendation for Atmosphere is a good one as well. In fact, for ease of use, I might recommend Atmosphere over the Arturia synths. Atmosphere certainly has those 80's sounds covered well, in my opinion. The plus side with Atmosphere being it's so much more than the just 80's...

But the Arturia's have more control programming wise... which to a novice, could certainly be intimidating.

Zero-G's Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Thomson
    does anyone know what gear Goblin used for their classic scores?
    MiniMoog and PolyMoog for sure. At least in the early days. later polyphonic stuff I have no idea, though I could swear I remember a video with a CS-80. Could be misremembering that though!

Go Back to forum