• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ivory PC --enough ram?

Share/Bookmark

Ivory PC --enough ram?

do u think 1 gb ram will be enough to run ivory sufficiently? they recommend two, and they say u can't use the biggest fullblown pianos without two-- so maybe some ivory owners can attest to how it sounds and plays with its lower ram settings, like fewer velocity levels, etc.-- i.e. how much of a difference in quality does it make and is it still as absolutely amazing as everyone says when u're not running on 2 gb (my system is P4 3.0 ghz, 1 g ram)--thanks

Sam

Re: Ivory PC --enough ram?

Don't have Ivory but I'm thinking about buying it for Mac. I would say if at all possible get the extra gig. It's not too expensive and it will probably make everything go more smoothly.
    JP

Yikes, I didn't see that in the specs.

Can I assume that Ivory consumes so many resources that using it alongside other softsynths (Kontakt 2) is not advised?

I didn't plan on jumping up to a full 2 g's quite yet on my gigging PC.

Ernie

Had a chance to play with Ivory at the Ilio booth at the MPL show in Manhattan last week. It's a real nice playing library. The place was kind of noisy, so even with headphones I couldn't get much of a sense of the sound - but the demos are great. I was told that my P4 3.6 Ghz with 1.5 Gb RAM system would be fine, although I'm not sure what would happen once I started adding other plug-ins.

A library this big is going to tax even a highly charged system and most piano libraries smaller than Ivory have to be rendered to audio in order to play with other VSTis (especially Kontakt 2 which can be quite a CPU hog).

On my 2x2.5 G5 inside Logic, the Bosendorfer 290 Imperial takes up about 640MB with a medium bufffer, 540MB with a small buffer, set to 24 voices (more voices take up more memory - the plug-in's presumably grabbing a larger voice buffer). It's unlikely that you could get away a small buffer on an underpowered PC.

None of that includes the OS - this is just Ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    On my 2x2.5 G5 inside Logic, the Bosendorfer 290 Imperial takes up about 640MB with a medium bufffer, 540MB with a small buffer, set to 24 voices (more voices take up more memory - the plug-in's presumably grabbing a larger voice buffer). It's unlikely that you could get away a small buffer on an underpowered PC.

None of that includes the OS - this is just Ivory.
    I knew there was a reason I hang out here ! Thanks.

Ernie

My only complaint with Ivory is that it needs more memory than any other VSTi I have ever used. I love it so much, though, that I am purchasing a 2nd DAW just for Ivory and maybe my EWQL libs.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

No doubt about it. More RAM is required. I have a PC with 1GB of RAM and I must upgrade to 2GB, read, buy new PC, in order to make this thing do what it deserves to do. The tone is so beautiful that you wouldn't want to compromise the velocities and pussyfoot around. Bite the bullet. Spend the $$$ anad enjoy Ivory.

An interesting thing I found about Ivory on a Mac is that when I use it with Digital Performer, it performs flawlessly when using it as a VST-wrapped plug in. When using it as a AU plug, I get slow disk warnings in thick passages with long sustain pedal holds....kind of strange.

My mac is a Dual 1 gig G4 w/ 2 gigs ram.

I recently upgraded to 1.5 and installed it on an Athlon 3200 PC with 1.5 gigs ram and it runs without problems on there.

Unless your motherboard can't hold more, there is no excuse not to add more ram with the prices so low lately.

Go Back to forum