• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga won't load this sample? Unknown system error??

Share/Bookmark

Giga won't load this sample? Unknown system error??

I can't load up my EH2_perf-leg_p+f_2Lay sample. I don't get it. I can load it up fine in another performance file... but.. in this particular one, it refuses. I get this message:

Error when downloading instrument: D:\Gigs\HS FRENCH OBOE\ENGLISH HORN\ ...etc.
    Unknown system error.
    Would you like to continue with loading of this performance?

What the heck?! I have GS 3.12. Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this?

EDIT: OK, I can't load the clarinet perf leg either. But I can load in the staccato sample. I'm not out of RAM.. I'm using 1GB out of my 2GB total. Grrrr... I'm on a deadline here, too. Damn you Giga!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Giga won't load this sample? Unknown system error??

I recently had a couple of gigs from opus 1 go stale on me. Never did find out why, but they would not show up in quicksound, and would give me the error in the middle of the loading of a performance which was assembled when they worked. That totally screwed up my stacks, too. This also happened while free ram was abundant.

I can't remember if I did this, or even attempted, but try opening them in the editor so you can save the art files in order to preserve your edits, if any.

Then, as I did, re-install (to a new location, to avoid being prompted to overwrite all your good files) the gigs from the install discs, deleting the ones that double up, as well as the corrupt ones. Replace those with the corresponding new gigs. Re-apply the art files, if the above suggestion worked.

A bit of a job, but it worked for me. Still a mystery, though.

Belbin

edit: You say you're only using 1 gig of 2 gigs of ram. That's not far below the limit of giga's capability to make use of ram. Maybe you are at your limit. Is this "other performance file" smaller, by any chance??

Yes, the other performance file is smaller. This larger one I"m having issues with, I'm already loading up instruments in port 2. And PS, these Opus samples have no problem loading at all in other performance files..just this one.

Are you saying that Giga can only handle 1GB of RAM? I upgraded to 2GB for no good reason? I heard about this limitation in Giga 2.5..but I thought for sure they would fix this for Giga 3.

I'll post on the VSL forum and see what the developers say.. I'll post any results here.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

that "unknown system error" is what comes up when you over-fill memory. 2 gigs is far from twice as big as one gig -- also, if you just put in the new memory, you might need to run the configuration tool, the memory tester (forget what it's called ...). That made a big difference for me when upgrading from 1 gig to 2 gigs memory.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    that "unknown system error" is what comes up when you over-fill memory. 2 gigs is far from twice as big as one gig -- also, if you just put in the new memory, you might need to run the configuration tool, the memory tester (forget what it's called ...). That made a big difference for me when upgrading from 1 gig to 2 gigs memory.
    AHH, actually I DID just take out my old 1GB of PC2700 RAM and throw in 2GB of PC3200. Hmmm. Are you talking about the GigaStudio Configuration tool? The one that runs when you first install it? I also noticed in that tool, you can set memory presets..right now it's set to the XP default. Preset 2 says "recommended for 1.5GB and higher." I'll try setting it to that, and rebooting, and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Try that; also, look at the "Memory Test" (which can only be run from outside gigastudio, from the Gigastudio COnfiguration Manager).

OK, great! I loaded the config and did a memory test. Apparently it was only using 40% of the possible memory! (wtf?) So I changed it to preset #2.. did a mem test.. then it hit 65%! Sweet. I'm using preset 3 or 4 now.. i'm not sure what the differences are. Oddly enough, though, my system has started to act a little oddly, the same way it behaves if you have corrupt RAM installed. I rebooted.. and ran Outlook, and it complained of missing DLLs (impossible). A couple other programs started acting oddly.

I'm running a RAM test at home right now to make sure the RAM is fine. If it is, I will assume Giga is somehow screwing things up. Or maybe it's time for a reformat.. I don't know.

Does anyone know what the different memory presets 2, 3, and 4 are??
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

hi Sam,

i recommend you read the memory thread sticky at the top of the gigastudio forum over at the VSL website, and download matthias's memory tool. basically, you need to spend some time trying different values to see what gives you the best memory performance w/o sacrificing stability.

i also recommend checking memory usage w/ msg32 rather than tascam's tool.

unfortunately, this is just part of the necessary routine of optimizing a machine for giga. btw, i was pretty appalled to see that a friend's Carillon "giga" machine had not been prepped in this manner. pretty lame for a company that claims to make specific tuned systems imo.

hope this helps!

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Hey John! (nice meeting you at GDC, by the way..)

Hm, you mention "stability." This worries me.. Especially since this morning's oddness with Outlook misbehaving. Normally I'd say it's corrupt RAM, but.. we'll see what my RAM test yields when I get home. I'm guessing the Giga memory config has somehow botched other apps up.. I'm not sure.

So Matthias's memory tool still applies to Giga 3? I thought Tascam would fix any memory issues in 3.0..guess not, eh?

EDIT: Did some research.. apparently Matthias's tool is recommended only for earlier versions of GS3. For 3.12, his site says to use the Giga Configuration Manager. I've done that... but.. now my system is acting flakey.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Hey John! (nice meeting you at GDC, by the way..)

Hm, you mention "stability." This worries me.. Especially since this morning's oddness with Outlook misbehaving. Normally I'd say it's corrupt RAM, but.. we'll see what my RAM test yields when I get home. I'm guessing the Giga memory config has somehow botched other apps up.. I'm not sure.

So Matthias's memory tool still applies to Giga 3? I thought Tascam would fix any memory issues in 3.0..guess not, eh?
    Sam (nice meeting you too btw),

based on my experience, what yields the highest sample load might make the machine less stable, so you might have to find a point of compromise. and what appears to be anomalous memory related behavior could very well stem from the applied tweaks. my pcs only run giga, so i don't know how the setttings can affect other apps, but i'm sure they could cause problems.

my feeling about the tascam memory tool is that it's nice that they thought to include it, but they only offer a few of the many possible settings, and i found i got better results with settings other than theirs. somehow, i inherently don't trust them also. while, for me, i don't think any of the other options can replace giga, the whole thing feels like it's held together with duct tape and some spit to me. i have good reliable functioning systems, but it just doesn't feel solid like other apps i've used, especially when you bring gigapulse into the mix. i've definitely found that to introduce instabilities at times.

happy tweaking!
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum