• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Choirs?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Choirs?

Any plans for this?

I heard a demo MP3 of the new "Symphonic Choirs" from Soundsonline, and it was amazing how realistic it sounded, actually like a good choir.

The problem--it's incredibly expensive! Not affordable to an elementary school music teacher like me!

If Garritan could make a good choir library that was affordable, that would be nice!

Re: Garritan Choirs?

Quote Originally Posted by maiki
    Any plans for this?

I heard a demo MP3 of the new "Symphonic Choirs" from Soundsonline, and it was amazing how realistic it sounded, actually like a good choir.

The problem--it's incredibly expensive! Not affordable to an elementary school music teacher like me!

If Garritan could make a good choir library that was affordable, that would be nice!
    I believe this question has surfaced many times before but, Hey, ya never know.
    Styxx

I, and probably many others, have practically begged Gary for a choir... lol.

I'd love to get the E/W Symphonic Choirs -- I've looked/listened them over carefully, and I believe they'd be wonderful to work with... but, alas, at the price -- holy cow, I'd have to give up either clothing or food to afford it. (Given that seeing me nekkid might cause riots, it'd probably have to be food.)

Still, like Styxx says, "ya never know". Gary's changed the face of music synthesis by coming out with the truly *affordable* GPO... I wouldn't put it by him to come up with a choir in the same tradition, one of these days...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Bela D. Media's Giovani is on my short list of choirs to buy. The demos and reviews are great. But most of all, they can be blended into a lot of different styles of music without sounding over the top. Large choirs are often used for their bombastic sound, but unless you have Peter Jackson directing, bombast turns normal video into satire and comedy.

Picture Carmina Burana played to a liquor store robbery scene. Rather than making the scene look serious, it would come off as campy. Same with a love scene, a poker game or a film of a skateboarder.

But an angelic children's choir, used subtley, can be used in many scenes to add a human feel without making the picture look small.

Rather than waiting for Gary, or spending a bomb on the full boat, I plan on saving my pennies for Giovani. (Cue angelic voices...)

-JF

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Choirs?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Bela D. Media's Giovani is on my short list of choirs to buy. The demos and reviews are great. But most of all, they can be blended into a lot of different styles of music without sounding over the top. Large choirs are often used for their bombastic sound, but unless you have Peter Jackson directing, bombast turns normal video into satire and comedy.

Picture Carmina Burana played to a liquor store robbery scene. Rather than making the scene look serious, it would come off as campy. Same with a love scene, a poker game or a film of a skateboarder.

But an angelic children's choir, used subtley, can be used in many scenes to add a human feel without making the picture look small.

Rather than waiting for Gary, or spending a bomb on the full boat, I plan on saving my pennies for Giovani. (Cue angelic voices...)

-JF

I rally quote: using Giovani is a true pleasure for creative musicians.
    Giovani blend with GPO is amazing, nearly perfect.
    The sounds are always good, the vowels and the words, as the separed sillabes available for "lyrics singing" effects (not a real text, but a library of words and the free combination of every syllabe of the words, with a good tool to play it quickly), where I find a little robotic the EWQLSC text syntesis.

A large amount of vocal effects make it incredible for soundtracks.

Personally I expect soon from BelaDmedia other excellent choir libraries (the Voci project go on after Giovani with adult choirs). It is planned and certain.

I expect from Gary Garritan the Vocal ensamble maker...(?!? it should be great...).
    Not planned yet, not certain at all, only my fantasy...but Stixx say...we really don't know...

Count me in on the ones waiting for a Garritan Choir library.

Imagine Sonic Morphing for solo voice? or even in a vocal section?
    Resonance for voice

Like Gary said about GPOA, there are a lot of SIMILAR libraries out there that pretty much do the same thing, have the same approach, etc.

But Gary likes to do things DIFFERENTLY. GPO was a 180° turn around from where sampling was headed 3 years ago. Everyone was getting BIGGER and BIGGER. Whereas, Gary and crew created a PLAYABLE sample library that has all the basic orchestral instruments that was under 4 gigs. AND it sounds great, works with MANY notation programs, works well in MANY DAW's, etc.

Gary has said a few times in the forum that a Garritan Choir library IS in the works, and that he was pleased with the initial promise it had. I wouldn't be surprised if Gary releases something choir-related next year that will blow the socks off the rest of the sampling community. But - I do think that he will not release something that will be just the same as what others are releasing.

He has recommended Bela D. Media's libs for a while and supports what they are doing. (And vice versa) I know that as soon as I get a few more buck-a-roos, I will be getting Giovanni and maybe even Diva.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

...and the test Gary posted here a while ago sounded very good and was very promising.

Björn

-JF
    Jon,

This gets my vote too. How about the men and boys of Westminster Abbey? Or my nearby Exeter Cathedral choir for that matter! This could team up with the excellent GPO pipe organ.

Graham

I forgot to add, the pure sound of an anglican cathedral choir should be easier to sample as you wouldn't have to create all the expressive articulations that other choirs would need. Does this make sense? Graham

-JF
    It would be of very much interest to me. I teach elementary school music, including choirs. I have made MIDIs for years for the children to practice with, using for their voices the stock "choral aah" MIDI sounds, lately some experimenting with soundfonts. It would be very nice to have a children's choir sample library to use, like the Giovani edition, or the one in "Symphonic Choirs". (Listen to the "Kyrie" boys choir demo of the latter at Sounds Online. Amazing.)

The problem--price!! These sample libraries are just too expensive for a teacher to afford. (The school district would not buy something like that.) (And I updated Sonar and Finale this year, and bought GPO! Am I to spend thousands of dollars each year on software???)

I think the producers are making a mistake, in charging such high prices for these libraries. I know they worked hard in creating the libraries, with many production costs. But by making the prices higher, they greatly reduce their sales volume. They would make more money from the products by making the prices lower, selling many more copies.

Go Back to forum