• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Getting to sound "real" like the demos

Share/Bookmark

Getting to sound "real" like the demos

Hey guys.. new to the forums here. I use Sibelius to write and playback my songs with Garritan as my samples. The problem is that it doesn't sound as real as the demos I hear at this website.. any tips on that?

Re: Getting to sound "real" like the demos

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel33
    Hey guys.. new to the forums here. I use Sibelius to write and playback my songs with Garritan as my samples. The problem is that it doesn't sound as real as the demos I hear at this website.. any tips on that?
    I'm no expert but here's a starting set of quick tips most of which are nothing more than common sense:
    1) make sure you are using plenty of mod wheel on every instrument and use it appropriately for the piece/phrase
    2) learn to use the other expression controls as appropriate for each instrument - timbre, pitch, vibrato, etc to add realistic nuances particularly, but not exclusively, to solo instruments
    3) try to make each instruments part realistic for that instrument - flutes can't sustain indefinitely, harpsichords can't do rips, pianists only have 8 fingers (and two thumbs) etc.
    4) definitely score strings as 4-5 (or more) monophonic parts rather than a block chord played with a generic string patch
    5) ditto with brass 'chords'
    6) don't be afraid to eq individual instruments to get them to fit together better than GPO out of the box
    7) use a decent reverb and plenty of it (if you a/b real orchestral recording with your own, you will always be amazed at how wet the real one is)
    8) use different reverbs/different amounts for different instruments - eg more for the backline (percussion, harp, horns, trumpets, tubas, trombones) to more closely resemble the concert hall effect
    9) read the tutorials on each instrument on Gary's website and implement all the tips
    10) spend time working on sets of rapidly repeating notes to get rid of the machine gun effect
    11) download midi files of classic works, play them through GPO, and see if these sound realistic to you - if yes, then look again at tips 1-10 - it must be your scoring rather than GPO that is unrealistic!

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum Mike, this is a wondeful place to be.
    I would highly recommend that you purchase some type of Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). This will allow you to get deeper into the sound of your GPO notation project, and easily correct issues that are prohibiting it from sounding the way you want. Notation software is getting much better these days, but in my opinion, notation still does not come close to what can be acheived with a good DAW and some tender loving care with regard to editing midi notes and audio mixing.

dpDan

Red face Re: Getting to sound "real" like the demos

Low, Well I know it is me and not Garritan.. that is why I am here for help. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you can do these with SIB: "timbre, vibrato, etc"...

DPDan, can you use a DAW with Garritan and Sibelius at the same time? If not (or not effectively), how do most people input their notes with a DAW.. if through keyboard, I hardly play well enough to play the parts I write.

Sorry I am such a newb with this.. I've always notated the music and played it back through my keyboard!

What I do (or plan to do, once SONAR arrives) is create/compose the piece in Sibelius, then save it as a midi file. I'll import it into the DAW and re-assign the instruments, create doublings+ if I need to by duplicating tracks, and then begin to tweak everything until it sounds right. So yes it is possible to do, but you'll be doing the composing separately and then "mixing" it

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    What I do (or plan to do, once SONAR arrives) is create/compose the piece in Sibelius, then save it as a midi file. I'll import it into the DAW and re-assign the instruments, create doublings+ if I need to by duplicating tracks, and then begin to tweak everything until it sounds right. So yes it is possible to do, but you'll be doing the composing separately and then "mixing" it
    We'll.. whatever it takes I guess. Is Sonar like Digital Performer or Pro-Tools? (I know nothing about either).. And which program is the most user friendly that I should start learning to get the "sound" I'm looking for? I know there are a lot of them.

Hi Mike, Cobalt is right on!

He chooses to write and arrange his music with notation and then save that midi file and import it into his Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) In his case.... Sonar. There are many very good DAW software programs available. Some are only useable on a PC, some on a Mac, while others both. I use Digital Performer and love it to death. Stay away from ProTools LE, and even if you can afford their $30,000-$40,000 professional system, Digital Peformer is still leaps and bounds better for midi, and many PT users use DP as a "front end".

Sonar for PC appears to be the biggest bang for the buck.
    I am biased because I was set up with DP first, and it is mainly what I know, so naturally I am going to be opinionated towards it

I play my parts into DP through a Yamaha KX-88 keyboard controller.

dpDan

That sounds good.. If DP is available for PC, then it will probably be a decision between that and Sonar. If not, then I think I'll get Sonar =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel33
    That sounds good.. If DP is available for PC, then it will probably be a decision between that and Sonar. If not, then I think I'll get Sonar =)
    DP is Mac only

Unhappy Re: Getting to sound "real" like the demos

Are Sonar and DP pretty much the same?... is one easier to learn than the other?

As far as Sonar is concerned, there is a studio version and a professional version.. Can I get everything I need with the Studio (cheaper) version?

DPDan, where can I hear some of your demos?

Go Back to forum