• Register
  • Help

Topic: The 6th worst thing that's ever happened to me

Share/Bookmark

The 6th worst thing that's ever happened to me

So I'm using GS3 and updating a huge template with a few minor patch changes. I go to save it and am hit with a BSOD. I restart no big deal, only now the template that I've spent a solid week working on oh-so-many moons ago won't open! Is this a common occurance with the latest patch to GS3?

Oh, and any chance of recovering my precious template? I'll remake it, but I'll grumble about it for months to come...

Re: The 6th worst thing that's ever happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Musica142
    So I'm using GS3 and updating a huge template with a few minor patch changes. I go to save it and am hit with a BSOD. I restart no big deal, only now the template that I've spent a solid week working on oh-so-many moons ago won't open! Is this a common occurance with the latest patch to GS3?

Oh, and any chance of recovering my precious template? I'll remake it, but I'll grumble about it for months to come...
    Who's counting?

Read the last few pages of topics. There are a lot of big ones on your problem, and everyone's sick of typing about it.

Good luck,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by Musica142

O, oh! The same happened to me twice during the last week.
    I saved the project file and during saving --> blue screen!
    After restarting and loading of the projectfile it was empty!

But it was not really a big problem, because I always save propjectfiles with consecutive numbers --> file_1.*, file_2.* etc.
    That doesn't solve the problem, but it helps a lot.

:-) Jovan

that sounds painful -- I do as above, incrementally saving big projects in case of loss . I think when you load up more instruments than gigastudio can handle (getting your utilization up past 90%), you are in danger of getting this problem. Some users have been able to free up a little more memory, by stopping other services, so that gigastudio can handle loading a very large template; if so, then you can delete an instrument or two and re-save (with a new name!). Early in my use of vsl, I tried a couple of times to load a "legato" patch (with very large memory requirements) into an already full setup. Bang!

does this saving BSOD still happens on the newest version of GS3? I thought the 3.14 update got rid of that bug.

When Gigastudio loads instruments the msg32.exe holds the RAM needed for every instrument, depending on your sample settings.

Go to the directory area and unload those instruments you don't need, just detaching them wont do the job of cleaning up the memory.

When adding reverb to a big system I tried doing that in the input mixer - BSOD - I moved it to the group mixer - less stress on msg32.exe. BTW Msg32.exe I believe is spyware, notice the M is in upper case, not LC as in the genuine prgm.

Another thing I did was to up the priority of gstudio.exe and msg32.exe in Task Manager, haven't had any crashes lately.
    Usually once the performance file or template has been corrupted by a crash, I had to build it from the beginning - grumble!

There's not a 3.14 is there?

Go Back to forum