• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help me choose? Darbuka or Culture?

Share/Bookmark

Help me choose? Darbuka or Culture?

I'm looking to add one or the other. I wish I could afford to add both. I'd be using it in addition to Stylus RMX. The styles of music I'm currently working with in my own writing range from Isis to Portishead to Tabla Beat Science.

I'd appreciate any opinions you might have.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Help me choose? Darbuka or Culture?

I haven't used or even checked out Darbuka but I'm sure it's really high quality with great usability. It's more of a loop performance-based VI and with a clearly defined selection of instruments from specific cultural areas. Stylistically, it would fit your music well, I'd say. And both would complement RMX well. Alternatively, you could check out sample collections like Metriam and Hadeeth Arabic Rhythms, especially if you have Recycle or Phatmatik Pro to do some slicing for you.

(Sidenote: I just checked out an Isis track on iTunes and immediately recognised an Eric Persing Metamorphosis loop!)

I do have Culture though, and the sound quality and selection are premium. It covers a very large base of percussion sounds which have been really extensively sampled and mapped for great playbility. It does come with some MIDI-based loops, but it's more for "rolling your own". If that fits what you want, I'm sure it won't disappoint you.

So, I think it comes down to whether you're more a player or more of a "remixer" type musician, also perhaps whether you have a percussion based MIDI controller such as Trigger Finger or Octapad. Although, I must confess I'm a drummer and I have plenty of MIDI drum controllers, and still get pretty good results when playing percussion sounds from the MIDI keyboard (too lazy to get up and plug it in/get my sticks sometimes!). A percussion pad of some kind vastly enhances the enjoyment of playing rhythm-based samples.

There are some comprehensive reviews of both around if you search the web, and I think there may also be a a downloadable demo.

Take your pick:-)!

Nigel

Not too sure about Culture, but Darbuka is absolutely amazing. Top of the line sonically, deep library and extremely flexible.

Thank you both!

I'm leaning heavily toward Darbuka because I want to try and keep the patterns authentic instead of playing "western" rhythms with world percussion...though I suppose I could do this with Culture if I took the time to disect my favorite world music, and programmed the performances myself

My only concern is this. Now that Avid owns Wizoo, is it likely that they will stop developing this product for anything but PT? I use SX3, and would hope that somewhere down the road they'd expand with additional rhythms or even extra percussion elements. Culture would certainly be the "better" fit in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by enharmonic

My only concern is this. Now that Avid owns Wizoo, is it likely that they will stop developing this product for anything but PT? I use SX3, and would hope that somewhere down the road they'd expand with additional rhythms or even extra percussion elements. Culture would certainly be the "better" fit in that regard.
    I would think that's highly unlikely, as they'd be sacrificing a large market segment that way. Some developers just use a two-tier price structure with TDM versions often being a lot more expensive. But, you never know!

Nigel

Go Back to forum