• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: DUAL CORE PROCESSOR QUESTION

Share/Bookmark

DUAL CORE PROCESSOR QUESTION

I know there has been a lot of talk about the dual core processor. If I am only running GS3 on the dual core processor, and not other programs simultaneosly does it help at all or will a intel P4 3.4 do fine. In other words is a 3.0 ghtz dual core like having 2 times 3 processors, or 6 ghtz of power for the one program?

Re: DUAL CORE PROCESSOR QUESTION

No. Giga will only use one core. But I personally think that if you're putting together a system today, you're building to defend against obsolescence a little by going that route. You may decide to run another program on that machine. Giga may start being able to exploit both cores. Just like we're getting 64 bit capable processors even though not that many people are actually going to the 64 bit operating system due to the fact that so many manufacturers don't have 64 bit drivers for their products yet (not to mention that there is also no 64 bit Giga yet).

Just one's man's opinion .......... Rob

Giga can split its 2 main processes on both core one is the main app and the other is the gigapluse app.
    I never sold a dualcore system to anyone and i am not recommending it.
    if you dedicate gigastudio to both cores (actually i mean here: if you don't change the affinity) it seamed to me that gs behaved more sluggish.
    if you use both cubase and gs on one machine and you change the affinity so that cubase has one core and giga has the other i could help allot, but still i cant say anything about stability.
    also you would have to change the affinity each time you load both apps manually.
    there is a programm which can handy this automatically but its not very easy to use.
    Digital AudionetworX

Dear Digital AudionetworX

"behaves more sluggishly?"

Aargh! - I was about to get a dual core. Should I not?! You've scared me now!

Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    if you dedicate gigastudio to both cores (actually i mean here: if you don't
    change the affinity) it seamed to me that gs behaved more sluggish.
    Do you say there is more latency then?

Matt

I too am about to purchase a dual core machine. I'd really appreciate some details on "behaves more sluggishly" too.

G

Hi
    i am using a dual core Pentium 840 here.
    No problems at all with Gigastudio , and using Cubase Sx in the same computer works like a dream. I am very happy with my purchase, it is generally the best computer experience i have ever had. The Intel Dual core tends to get very hot, so an aftermath cooler is nessesary.

Regards
    Karin

I'm using a 2.4Ghz dual core GS system and it is working fine. At least as good as my 3Ghz single CPU. I really notice no difference at all from the 2 systems as they feel pretty much identical in terms of startup speed, loading speed, voice capability, etc. I only use these machines for Giga, so I really have no way of detecting this "sluggishness" that Digital Audioworx is referring to. I certainly don't have the focused experience on this topic as he must have, but based on my experience, I'd say you're fine going with a dual core system. You never know, they might make GS multi-threaded soon and then you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't get the dual core.
    -Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    I'm using a 2.4Ghz dual core GS system and it is working fine.
    AMD?

Matt

sluggish means my english is bad ;-)

no, if you are not dedicating gigastudio to one core it does not behave the same way as on one cpu, the cpu meter is not smooth as with one cpu.

i am testing it very often but until now i never sold one. i am selling 1-2 gigastudios per week though.

to the one who use it on dc x2 (or intel?) is it stable like on single core?

i have a clinet who want to test it and want to do a film project on it, after that and all is fine i would start selling it.

thanx for any info´s on that.

daniel
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum