• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KickAssBrass - Anybody here with experience?

Share/Bookmark

KickAssBrass - Anybody here with experience?

Hi everybody!

I noticed there's almost nothing about KickAssBrass here in this forum, especially since they offered it as a virtual instrument. The demos sound really great, and that's all I know from it. If anybody is here with some experience I'd like to know some things like:

1. Can it be played in realtime to make it sound like in the demos, or is it more like computer screen work? I'm not yet into VIs.

2. What is the minimum Cubase version this tool is running under?

3.According to the user manual it requires 1GB of PC RAM – what about 768 MB RAM? Wouldn't it run at all, or just with limited performance (like limited polyphony)?

I'm grateful for all kind of progress report. Thanks.
    Martin

Re: KickAssBrass - Anybody here with experience?

link please!

Quote Originally Posted by bluepowder
    link please!
    http://www.samples4.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=680

The full song demos near the middle of the page sound the best. By itself, it may be a little thin, but when you mix it with other instruments it sounds great, IMO. I have the sample version and I recently got the virtual instrument (though I haven't tried that version yet). The sample version is kinda difficult to work with and you get the best results by tweeking your sequencing. Sounds great though for a brass section library.

@Rogles:
    Thanks for your answer and my late reply. I just stopped to look for answeres because for weeks there haven't been any response.

You wrote you first had the regular version, than you upgraded to VI. Did you have to return the old version for that, or did you keep it? It isn't available, anymore. Was it (also) in Akai format what a Yamaha Motif may be able to read?

Martin

While the basic sounds of KAB are quite good i find the fact that it doesnt support keyswitches to be a major drawback.
    Instead of upgrading from the samplerversion to the plug in i got the Chris Hein Horns and i cant imagine what my arrangement would look like if it didnt have keyswitches.
    To create a realistsic sounding brass line you need to switch between articulations sometimes on a note by note basis. In KAB that means opening up a new track for every articulation which in the end sometimes only have a note or two in it.This ultimately leads to an arrangement with hundreds of tracks.
    Not exactly the most inspiring way to work.
    With The Chris Hein Horns i have all of my trumpet in one track and simply add a second track to automate keyswitches and modwheel.

Hans

Dear Hans,
    thanks for your answer. I appreciate any opinion. Thanks.
    Martin

I just listened to the Chris Hein Horn Demos. Some sound great, some (like the example below) sound rather artificial though:

http://www.soundsonline.com/cd_mp3_demos/231538.mp3

Can they be used as convincing solo instruments, or better just as ensembles?

Martin

sofar i only used them for ensemble stuff.
    I would always prefer a real player for solostuff.

Dear Hans,

last question: Since you don't seem to use your old KAB sample library anymore, would you consider selling it? Actually, I'm waiting for the Yamaha Motif ES successor; many like myself hope it has got far better brass set sounds then the MoES, similar or better than those in the Tyros 2. If not, it still will have some sampling capabilities (hopefully), so such library like KAB still could be used, if its format is somehow compatible or convertible at least. Is this either in wav or in Akai format?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by wrkfrx
    http://www.soundsonline.com/cd_mp3_demos/231538.mp3

Can they be used as convincing solo instruments, or better just as ensembles?

Martin
    This is the very first piece I played with the trumpet in May last year.
    At this time, I had 2.500 trumpet samples recorded and thought, thats it.
    But, as you say, it does'nt sound good.
    So, I did four more recording sessions with Andy Haderer (WDR-Bigband)
    and recorded another 2.000 samples. Exspecially the "dirty-notes" were done in that time.
    The Demo "Dirty Notes" shows the last version of the trumpet:
    http://www.soundsonline.com/cd_mp3_demos/231534.mp3
    But its too much, playing with the articulations.

Actually all these Demos were just tests to see how the keywsitching, articulations and dynamics work.
    I hope, the future brings some nice user demos.
    I would pay for them.

IMO the best use of Chris Hein - Horns is in combination with other librarys, like the Garritan Big Band.
    Ore to fatten the sound if you only have a view live brassplayers.
    Put the more detailed articulations in the front, and you get a very expressive section.

I think a good solo is possible, but you have to tweak a lot with the 44 different articulations and up to 20 dynamics.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Go Back to forum