• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HOROR STORY ALL DONE

Share/Bookmark

HOROR STORY ALL DONE

If any of you have ever lost data then you know the feeling of emptiness and being totally powerless. Last Friday nite I posted for help with a crashed hard drive and many of you contributed to helping me with information about recovering my data.

My quest is over, I sent it to a recovery service; the drive is un-recoverable.

Moucho thanks for all your words and concern.

Moving on-
    Tom

PS Back-up OFTEN. Stop reading this and go do it now.

Re: HOROR STORY ALL DONE

Genuinely sorry to hear that Tom.
    Did you get much understanding from the client?

Chin up, and remember in the darkest of moments, us British turn to a cup of tea for inspiration, and solace. Weird isn't it!

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Tom -

Sorry to hear. Like you say, backup often. Maybe we can use this thread to talk about best ways to back-up. I know we've had threads on that topic before, but it would be good to hear again.

Bruce, I know you always buy two hard drives, one for production and one just in case the production drive goes bad. My DAWs are too old to do that now.

So what are the easiest ways to backup? What does everyone backup? I would think audio/midi sequencer projects are the priority.

I am at the moment wrestling with that - (we did back up but only after project were completed).

The way I see it - you have basically two types of files
    1. document files - DP, PT, Kontakt files
    2. and then the media files, vocals, live instruments, ect.

Ways I have seen on here:

1. ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVES - not bad but might fill up quickly
    2. CD/DVD ROMS - kind of a drag
    3. TAPE - uk!
    4. Memory sticks - I don't think so.
    5. Seperate PC connected via network - probably the best but the most expensive $3k-$5k unless there is some cheap software out there.

Anything else???

TS

Quote Originally Posted by landford
    2. CD/DVD ROMS - kind of a drag
    I tried backing up a Pro Tools session yesterday on itunes.

In addition to the sound files there were of course the session data files and fade files. Even though I had "Data CD" selected in the preferences it wouldn't import them. Only the audio.

Any ideas why?

I don't understand what you mean when you said you tried to back up a Pro Tools session on iTunes?

Can you elaborate?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I'll describe what I do and maybe it will inspire someone... First of all, hard drives are CHEAP, if you can't afford to lose work & configurations, and you can't afford a crash, don't cheap out! I live near a Fry's electronics, every holiday they have crazy cheap drives with rebates. I just got a 200 gig seagate for $40. (!)

I never chuck old computers; I have several old reliable systems running at 166 to 500 MHz; these aren't ideal as music crunchers anymore but they make excellent network file servers. Mine run FreeBSD (unix) and serve up files via Samba to Windows machines and NFS to macs.

Keep your data in several places. I may work on a project on my daw, but then copy it across the network to the network server weekly or whatever. My network server is regularly, automatically backed up over the network to another server via 'rdiff-backup' which creates a running backup you can restore to any previous date.

I can't say enough good things about 'bootit-ng', a booter that lets you copy, move, and shrink partitions. I regularly dupe partitions, shrink them as much as possible, and burn them to multiple CD's or DVD's with Nero, which has a partition backup feature.

As my drives fill up, I migrate to larger drives (copying via bootit on windows machines, or using 'tar' on the freebsd boxes), and then keep the old drive on the shelf. These migrations happen about yearly, so I generally have the state of each DAW and fileserver on a year to year basis.

Yes I spend a couple hundred a year on drives, but I never lose work and never pay thousands to a recovery firm. And my parents sometimes get a shoebox from me with a couple of drives in case the house burns down, God forbid!

I have a ton of CDs & DVD's and old drives everywhere, but data is cheap compared to losing data. Consider the scenarios you can't afford to happen and take precautions against these. Also, I don't use RAID; I've only had one hard drive die on me in 15 years (mine are well ventilated) but I most commonly lose data due to carelessness (drag folders to the trash and not realize what I did for 6 months). RAID wouldn't save me against this, but stacks of backups do just fine.

I don't think hard drives are ideal backup media, but in actuality they are not bad, and I never used my SCSI tape drive even when I had one that was capable of backing up what now looks like a rediculously small drive.

Good luck y'all. Sh*t happens, there's really no excuse for not being a little prepared for it. It does take time and preparedness, but there's never a good time to lose work, and that takes a lot of time too.

These days hard drives are about the only method of backing up for a home user - considering the size of some drives, other methods are truly far too expensive for an individual to justify. So basically, any time i buy a drive thats meant for my data, i also buy a second one. For smaller things, dvds do a decent job and i regularly backup to those as well.

steve

Doesn't anyone rent DLT drives? It seems to me that it would make sense to rent a DLT drive for a couple of days, back up a few hundred gigs on a tape, and do this every couple of months. For in between back ups, I think DVD's and offloading to external drives might be adequate.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Very sorry to hear this, Landford. I had high hopes that you could get some of the data back.

-- Green

Go Back to forum